VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 1.8 Ltr Turbo Beetle that has given me nothing but trouble. My latest issue stems from a broken parking brake cable that rusted through and failed about 9 months ago. This has not been a problem as I simply put the car in gear to park and live in a fairly flat state (Indiana). This weekend I pulled the brake handle to clean underneath and the parking brake alarm switch became activated, causing the idiot light to illuminate, and more troublesome, the alarm to beep constantly. I have no intention of dumping more money into this car, but need to know if anyone knows how to disable the parking brake alarm?

Desperate.

·
2,646 Posts
Get the console out find the wires leading to the switch that detects whether the PB handle is up or down. They will either need to be separated or jumpered together to shut it off you can figure that out. It should be a fairly easy "fix".

·
Are Friends Electric?
372 Posts
I know I'm digging up an old thread, but I had this issue too. My search lead me here... The result was finding out the red "Brake" light is not just for the parking brake, our regular brakes are tied into it as well. My situation was a leaking caliper resulting in a slow leak and low fluid. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
break alarm

I had the same problem. Try to locate the fusible box and remove speed fusible. It is the same tha odometer, so when thw car does not show the speed the alarm will not be able to work.it is a temporal solution . My car is now in the mec shop, so i will tell you later the root cause of the oproblemroblem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts