NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, fellow New Beetle owners!

I just noticed today that the top part of the plastic surrounding my driver's side mirror is popped out. I examined it and it looks like it has a hook that latches unto something, but no amount of "pushing it back in" causes it to snap or latch back into place.

I have included photos of the culprit.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this part and knowing how it actually should snap back on?

Thanks in advance.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further inspection it looks like the part on the inside where that loose part should snap into is broke. I wonder how much VW is gonna charge me to replace that.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I've never seen that before. Good luck! :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hey Buddy! Haven't seen you around. Other than this little thing, how's the new car?

If this is typical of how mfrs attach these mirrors, the inside is a cover that hides through bolts that mount the mirror. Looks like someone hit your mirror in such away that the break-away hinge didn't work, and instead the outside cover broke-away. Hopefully nothing is broken, but the longer it stays in the position it is in, the more likely it is that it won't go back where it belongs. You'll need the trick to remove the inside cover to loosen and then re-bolt the mirror assembly. Neither should be rocket science. Someone should be along who knows. I'll look and see what is in the Bentley.

M.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool; thanks for looking that up!

Besides the mirror, I had to spend close to $700 yesterday to fix the air pump mount and replace the electrical fuse box and wiring!

v/r,
James

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The mirror cover is NOT bolted from inside. The cover is just that, a cover, held in place by two screws. The cover removal is just part of the process of removing the door, but this page should enable you to do what needs to be done to get the cover off. Give it a shot, if you hit a snag, post up. Something like "Morror Cover Removal - HELP!", someone has done this and can help.

Anyway, once you get it of, you should be able to see the problem. IF something has broken, get the part number off the part, post it up and we'll help find you a replacement. No Dealer needed, save your money!

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks! I really, really, appreciate it!!! I'll put on a pot of coffee, get this printed out, and start looking it over and see what I can do! Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts