NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove my passenger axel, however it will not budge! The dealership couldn't even remove it and they had 3 mechanics try. So they told me whoever put it in should try to remove it. So I have my mechanic who put it in try to remove it and couldn't.

I'm trying to remove the aftermarket axel with the original (just replaced inner cv boot)

Any ideas on how to remove it? The mechanic says the clamp or whatever it's called is gripped inside and that's what most likely is holding it in.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Assume you have snap in axles?

There is a C clip that holds them in. What side are you trying to remove and what/how did the dealer try to remove it?

You have to be careful not to put too much pressure on the differential housing if you try to pry the axle out.

Many people say they need to rotate the axle 90 degrees each time they try to pull the axle.

There is a special slide hammer with a collar that should slip behind the CV/Tripot housing which is the "official" tool.

I used a very wide, 1.5", wood chisel and carefully tapped and wedged the chisel between the differential housing and CV/Tripot and was able to easily release my passenger side.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts