NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
BIG "THANK YOU" from me too!!! I bought a 06 Beetle TDI a couple months ago. Passenger headlight burnt out...SO I thought. After replacing bulb, an hour and a half tracing wires and checking fuses, I came upstairs and started digging in the forum. Many thanks to all who have posted on this subject...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem when I got my wifes 2007 beetle back from the body shop. The left front fender had been replaced and they didn't adjust the headlight sockets properly, the headlights were hitting the fenders before it was all the way back. I got them adjusted but noticed a lot of slop in the locking mechanism. I started a thread over in body and paint how I eliminated the play by builing up the locking shoulder on the headlight. I used epoxy and it's still working, waiting to see if it softens from the heat of the lamps, if it does I'm going to fashion a metal shoulder and pin it in. When I get more time I'm going to get out my dremel and get them back in the socket further because they still aren't as far back as they should be. It's a shame that it requires all this fooling around to get them to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

I was encountering the same problem with the light not working after replacing it on my daughter's 2010 beetle. After several attempts of trying to get it to work, I noticed two screws towards the front of the lock-in assembly while the light was out. It looked to me as if one of the screws was not centered anymore (probably due to my tugging to try and get the light out in the first place). I loosened the screw and pushed the lock-in assembly backwards and then tighten the screw back up. I then put the light back in and locked it in place. (There was a much louder click this time when I turned the locking hex head. And guess what? The lights work perfectly now! Give it a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bumping an old thread...because it was so helpful.

My wife noticed that my daughter's 2006 Beetle passenger-side light was out...so I picked up a couple of H7s on the way home from work.

I knew that I was screwed when I got home and tested the lights...and saw that neither bulb in the passenger-side housing worked. Oh well, I had the bulbs...so I replaced both....and when I looked at the pair that I pulled out, I was almost positive that I was screwed. The filaments looked fine. I reassembled the housing and slid it back in and no big surprise, neither (new) bulb worked.

I then swapped fuses right and left just to rule out the simple things. Still no luck.

Then I hit Google and found this thread. Jackpot.

I pulled the harness out of the tray mount and plugged it into the removed headlight housing and both bulbs then worked fine. I also noticed that it plugged in much further than it did when the plug was mounted in the tray...and no amount of force that I applied could get it to go much further in when the harness was mounted in the tray.

Next step...off to the workshop to get a Dremmel and some sandpaper.

Total success. You guys rock...especially since the two VW dealers within reasonable driving distance seem to be in a competition to see who can be the biggest ripoff artist.

THANKS! :thup:
Scuba Steve, I hope you didn't use the Dremmel an give this a try instead:

Hey all,

I was encountering the same problem with the light not working after replacing it on my daughter's 2010 beetle. After several attempts of trying to get it to work, I noticed two screws towards the front of the lock-in assembly while the light was out. It looked to me as if one of the screws was not centered anymore (probably due to my tugging to try and get the light out in the first place). I loosened the screw and pushed the lock-in assembly backwards and then tighten the screw back up. I then put the light back in and locked it in place. (There was a much louder click this time when I turned the locking hex head. And guess what? The lights work perfectly now! Give it a try.

·
Flower child
7 Posts
Ditto

I just bought an 07 convertible a month ago and had to change both headlights. Both go out periodically, and it drives me crazy. Glad to find info on how I might be able to fix them. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
my wife has a 2010 convertible replaced the headlamp and have the same problem, cannot believe that VW has not solved this obvious manufacturing defect. if I push the wiring harness into the socket all the light turn on.
if I use my dremmel to cut the connector from the harness and manually pushing it in. what will prevent it from loosening off.?? or does it snap in.?

·
Registered
2 Posts
headlamp

i read " johnny907 " and decided to experiment on his idea instead of the dremmel cutout. and very happy i did. first of all the bucket insert has 3 bolts that hold it in place but also serve the purpose of adjusting the aim of the headlight. apparantly when i replaced the bulb the bucket SLID out slightly preventing the wire harness from fully seating. all i did was loosened the bolts. SLID the bucket in slightly and the headlamp snaped in place . problem solved.
thank you johnny907

·
Aimee M.
50 Posts
Can we have a picture of the 2-3 bolts being adjusted instead of the dremel solution please?

EDIT: Nevermind! It was easy to see which parts of the plastic bracket needed to come off to properly seat the connection back far enough. We didn't even need a dremel, just a pair of pliers to snap off the pieces cleanly. Headlights fixed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

I know this thread is a bit older but, thank you so much johnny907! While I had to adjust my housing a bit forward instead of backward, the concept was exactly the same. This worked like a charm on my 2008 beetle convertible and was super easy. Thanks again!

Cathy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the exact same issue with my daughters 2007 Convertible. Bought 2 complete new headlight assemblies. The drivers side I can manually push in to get it going but the passenger doesn't work at all.

Looking forward to her getting home from school today so I can try this.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,404 Posts
good thread...i've been squirreling around with the passenger side headlight for about a month, and will have a go at this next week :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will have to try pulling the harness out of the passenger side tray mount on our 2006 Beetle. Nothing else works. Does anyone know of a photo of the connected harness? It seems to be a slide fit that stops maybe 1/8" from being flush.

Currently, after many hours of probing and adjusting the tray with no results, I just discovered I am able to reach a finger down to the back of the harness. But even then, while strongly pushing the harness forward into the headlight connector, enough to flex the carrier, the connection for the whole assembly still blinks on and off. So I reassembled it and I'm back to banging on the lens cover every time I start up.

I had been going thru the same nonsense with the driver side headlight. After fiddling with the tray, I found a 'happy spot' where it works. Two weeks later, the passenger side started acting up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2010 Headlight Connector Engagement Fix

Material Removed From Driver & Passenger Sides

New Bulbs

Driver Side Before

Driver Side After

Driver Side Before

Driver Side After

Passenger Side After

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all. My wife bought a 2006 Convertible Bug. The front passenger headlamp kept randomly turning on and off so I removed the headlamp to inspect and try to evaluate the problem. Upon inspection of the plug that seats in the bracket I noticed the contact entry points looked burned. No problem, I ordered a new (Halogen headlamp flat contact housing connecting piece for single wiring: Part Number: 1C0941165) online from a VW parts dealer here:

https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/products/gb/Volkswagen-VW/New-Beetle/Halogen-headlamp-flat-contact-housing-connecting-piece-------------for-single-wiring/5154581/1C0941165.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

I cutoff the old connector and installed the new one following the same visual wiring order and used a hot glue gun to secure the wires before locking the clamp that goes around the connector.

This is where I feel like a fool. When I slid the headlamp back into the harness, it would not connect, I checked to make sure the connector was seated properly, and it was. I look at the plug on the actual headlamp and noticed that the connector was in horrible shape. It visually looked like it had been burned/fried/shorted and rusty to the point where the contact connectors were flaking/breaking off. There was no way that the new contact housing connector I installed was going to seat properly. This all brings me to my question. Has anyone ever experienced this? If so, is there a simple solution rather than having to buy an entire new headlamp? I would hate to have to spend the money if I did not have to. I am open to suggestions and appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Miracle fix.
2006 VWNB sedan 2.5L, same problem as all you guys. Tried the dealer fix, replace the headlight carrier, worked for a few days (right side). Fixed it myself with the screwdriver fix, still working 1 year later. Then the left one went dark. Tried the mechanic wire trick. That worked until a dark rainy night last week. I found no good answers on the web. Took the headlight out. Took the headlight carrier out. The fragile plastic retainer was broken. I noted that if I held the connector tightly to the side of the connector socket it seemed that it would work. Using the connector as a guide, I drilled a hole right next to the connector. I tried a washer on the bolt first, it slipped. I fashioned a.metal bracket from aluminium angle, cut it to fit then bolted it to the socket carrier. Amazing. Installed the carrier, lubricated with anti ox and installed the headlight. Success, the headlight installed with the connector up to the orange seal. Headlight works. Only 1 week, but working well. If/when the right goes dark I will do the same fix to it. If you need pics to guide you in the mod let me know. [email protected].

21 - 35 of 35 Posts