VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am considering buying a NBC.

I am physically disabled, and use a manual wheelchair for mobility. In order to load my wheelchair into a car, I must be able to flip the passenger seat back forwards and backwards easily. But the NBC has that knob on the side of the seat back, and changing the angle of the seat back requires turning the knob clockwise to change the angle forwards, or counter-clockwise to change the seat back angle backwards (to "recline" the seat back).

I do *not* want to be fiddling with that in the pouring rain - it takes too darn long! Is there any way that knob can be replaced with a lever, so that I can flip the seat back forwards (or back) in one easy motion?

I hope I've explained this properly. I'm not talking about moving the *seat* forwards or backwards - just changing the angle of the seat back.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I know on my Beetle (it was a hardtop, but its still a 2-door) there was a lever on the side of the seat at the top. If you lifted it, the whole back of the seat would go forward and the whole seat would slide to the front as well. This allows for access to the back seat. The same is true on my GTI. Not sure what year you're looking into, but any Beetle *should* have some sort of lever at the top of the seat to do that. I think the '12+ Beetles have that lever in the top of the seat by the head rest.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I know on my Beetle (it was a hardtop, but its still a 2-door) there was a lever on the side of the seat at the top. If you lifted it, the whole back of the seat would go forward and the whole seat would slide to the front as well. This allows for access to the back seat. The same is true on my GTI. Not sure what year you're looking into, but any Beetle *should* have some sort of lever at the top of the seat to do that. I think the '12+ Beetles have that lever in the top of the seat by the head rest.
H-m-m-m. When I looked at the 2013 NBC's last summer, moving the passenger seat forward and back, and changing the angle of the passenger seat back were two separate operations. The latter was accomplished by turning that knob, which was located on the side of the passenger seat back.

At the time, I told the salesman why that was an issue for me, and he never mentioned there being a main lever that would move the seat forward while simultaneously flipping the seat back forward.

It could be that he was an idiot. Or, perhaps there wasn't such a lever.

I haven't seen the 2014's (will be looking at them next week), and if I don't see such a lever I will certainly ask about it.

Your comment prompted me to go on the hunt for a picture. My memory is failing - the knob is located at the junction of the seat & seat back (this is from a 2014, and it's the driver's side, but the photo of the passenger side seat cut off that knob):

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat Family car

(Picture from New 2014 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible | St. Louis Park Volkswagen Dealer | Serving Minneapolis, Twin Cites & St. Paul Minnesota | Westside Volkswagen)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
If you look in that picture, the very top of the seat next to the head rest has a lever. That's what you'd pull to flip the seat forward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Twirlygirly,

Thanks for sharing this image is very nice in future your plan new seat purchase & new design so, I recommend my company product is very nice more attractive & design
for other companies provide & with sending my company site https://eternitymodern.com you should try this after that any more query you can ask me.

Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts