NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a replacement fog light assy for the passenger side. According to posts here pre-2001 must be accessed from underneath.

It looks like the TDI air intake will have to be removed to access the light assy. I'm working outside and it's cold. I'm concerned about breaking plastic tabs.

Has anyone changed the passenger side fog assy on an early TDI?

It's looking like I may have to wait until spring.

PS The TYC fogs sold by autohausaz do not appear to be OEM. But, the Hella replacement bulbs were made in India. . .so who knows?

Any ideas much appreciated

WardB

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
As we discussed in the thread MORAV linked, its likely a full frontal removal, requiring two people to do the job. So you're likely looking at waiting until spring to do this and getting a buddy to help you.

If your buddy has a garage, maybe he can help you even more by letting you use it now.

·
slow car fast
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks M,

Janitz, I missed your post when I wrote this. Appreciate the reply. I read the thread and all links to other threads. Consensus is assy CAN NOT be replaced without removing nose (all body parts forward of the doors except hood).

That is a job for spring since both my fogs technically work. I'm going to start with jack stands and wheels removed in case the nose does have to be removed.

I'm going to begin with dremel surgery to remove fog assy and hopefully mounting screws. If that happens, I'll try to remount them with hex head screws as someone suggested.

Thanks for helping with something most people figured out years ago.

WardB

·
1999 Beetle TDI
332 Posts
Just finished the job last evening. Took about 1 1/2 hours to remove the fenders and front bumper. If you have any mechanical ability,it's not tough at all. My car is a 99 and after the front walkaway was removed,it also gave me time to clean up 12 years of gunk and such that normally doesn't get cleaned. I believe I used a T15,T25,and T30 torx. It was a ton easier with it up on jackstands and the wheels removed. I got lucky and my headlights came right out. I would say the worst part was lining the headlight opening tabs into the bucket,but that wasn't that bad at all..The plugs on the parking lights were a pain till I got the first one off..

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:clap::bigthumb::clap::bigthumb::clap::bigthumb:
Just finished the job last evening. Took about 1 1/2 hours to remove the fenders and front bumper. If you have any mechanical ability,it's not tough at all. My car is a 99 and after the front walkaway was removed,it also gave me time to clean up 12 years of gunk and such that normally doesn't get cleaned. I believe I used a T15,T25,and T30 torx. It was a ton easier with it up on jackstands and the wheels removed. I got lucky and my headlights came right out. I would say the worst part was lining the headlight opening tabs into the bucket,but that wasn't that bad at all..The plugs on the parking lights were a pain till I got the first one off..
:bigthumb::clap::bigthumb::clap::bigthumb::clap:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts