NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I got a VW Beetle 2012 2.5 used so I am not very sure this is a known fault of this model. When hitting the switch to roll down the passenger window automatically, it rolled the window all the way down with no issue. However when I tried to roll it up, it went up half of the way and then roll down by itself. I then rolled it up again. It rolled up and down all the way again. Then, for the third time, It stopped half way and I needed to hit the switch again to roll it up. It took a couple of times to get it roll all the way up. I replaced the window rotor but it behaved the same way with the second window rotor.

Would you guys please share your experience with the same model?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,915 Posts
Sometimes, the "pinch protection" safety feature; will kick in, if there is any binding on the window track. On the earlier New Beetles; whenever I do a regulator repair, I always push the window up/down in the tracks, to see if there is any binding. If there has been binding issues; that may, have been the reason the window motor failed. You might want to discuss; the repairs you have done so far and why you replaced the window motor to begin with and what brand parts you used. I haven't done any work on a 2012+ model yet but since you installed a new motor, there maybe a "reset" procedure, you might need to do, post repair. We have limited info on these newer Beetles; as up until recently, most repairs were under warranty and done at VW dealerships.

I would normally; point you in the direction of a free online service manual, to go over repair steps and reset procedures but there are no paper manuals available on the market at this point. The only source of factory service manuals for the 2012+ Beetles is from VW; however, these manuals are licensed to online services like Mitchell1 or AllData, which most pro shops use. However, you can also buy one day access for $35 through VW online service called "ErWin". Once you sign up and pay for your subscription for one day; you can download as many manuals as you want, in .pdf format and access them on your computer and print out any pages, you want.

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do

https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showFaq.do

If you want to work on your own 2012 Beetle; the service manuals, are probably the way to go and can provide you with the offical vw repair steps, to successfully complete repairs. Again, the cars are still so new; there is not much info on the web or "diy's" made by anyone on this site yet! Maybe you can do one for us; once you fix yours! Let us know; how things go! Thanks! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the reset procedure. We left the Window up all the way and then down a bit. We repeat this procedure 3 to 5 times (just to be sure) then the motor will memorize the position. This needs to be done every time the motor is disconnected.

For the Windows Regulator and Door frame, I once took it of for inspection and lubrication. It looked good and there were no obstruction that I saw. However, the VW Beetle door is closed and they left a small opening for us to take the Regulator off. So I did not have a full view of what inside unless I cut the door metal open :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts