NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed that the window switch on the passenger door is always lit. All of my other lights (dash, driver door window/fuel flap switches) are all off. It stays on all of the time. I've even gone out and checked it ever hour, and it's still on!
I've tried searching and searching, but I can't find any posts with a similar issue. Has anyone got any ideas?

The problem is, I don't know if this has always been lit, or if it is recent, and related to my battery draining over a couple of days (which I'm trying to figure out at the moment).
It's a 2007 1.8T Cabriolet Beetle. RHD

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
That doesn't sound normal; I haven't heard of that specific type of failure mode but switches do fail. You might swap out the switch and see if the problem persists; some switches can be swapped from left to right side (not all), breaking switches are very common. It would make sense, that a light stuck on; would eventually, drain the battery and be a parasitic draw. You might follow the testing procedure; plug/unplug the switch and see, how much the voltage falls.

If you have a Autozone in your area; you might check out their Duralast brand for the mirror switch. I have purchased, the window switches, that always break; they were genuine vw in the box, were cheaper then from the vw dealer and have a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't sound normal; I haven't heard of that specific type of failure mode but switches do fail. You might swap out the switch and see if the problem persists; some switches can be swapped from left to right side (not all), breaking switches are very common. It would make sense, that a light stuck on; would eventually, drain the battery and be a parasitic draw. You might follow the testing procedure; plug/unplug the switch and see, how much the voltage falls.
thanks for your reply :) it's weird, right!
Already had the switch itself checked and it seems ok.
Managed to find someone to look at it for me hopefully next week as we're struggling to narrow it down further. (So far, we are blaming the door/window wiring)
I seem to have fuses 14, 15 and 38 all showing current/voltage with everything closed down. Weirdly, if I pull each of these (one at a time) it's still lit up (I've not tried all of them at once). It's not lit when the battery is disconnected, so I'm not seeing things.
The battery seems to loose 0.01V per hour.
It's currently cold here, so I'm happy to pay someone now to get to the next stage :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
Yes, that is another possibility; the wiring harness, from the body to the door, flexes and the wires can break. I would think, that the switch itself; maybe the problem. I hear, in the UK; that eurocarparts, is a popular place for replacement parts? https://www.eurocarparts.com/

Let us know, what the fix; ends up being, this is the first time, I have heard of the light being stuck on, in the mirror switch! :) Having said that, I have had; many switches break! The window switches, the unlock rocker switch break on me and then, the middle toggle mirror switch snapon off, as well! Frustrating! :mad::eek:(n)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is another possibility; the wiring harness, from the body to the door, flexes and the wires can break. I would think, that the switch itself; maybe the problem.

Let us know, what the fix; ends up being, this is the first time, I have heard of the light being stuck on, in the mirror switch! :) Having said that, I have had; many window switches and the unlock switch break on me and then, the middle toggle mirror switch break as well.
Will do!!!
I thought it would be an interesting one as I was struggling to find anything that matched. Literally everything else works (windows, lights, locking), just this odd little light that doesn't want to go off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts