VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wanted to take me out to dinner today after a crazy week. Got into her '03 Beetle vert and the passenger window didn't drop. I put a new door lock assembly last summer that I bought at the stealer because the door wouldn't lock or unlock. After the new lock assembly it would unlock but not lock but the window would drop better and go back up most of the time. Today the passenger window stopped working completely (didn't drop when she opened her door). None of the window switches work, can't drop the top. Where do I start? Is there a fuse for each window motor? I have dropped a huge chunk of money on this car and now wish I would have got a newer one. Please help.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My first guess (and this is a guess) would be a broken wire where it goes from the A pillar to the door.

Pull the door panel, see if you have powers and grounds going to the door control module.

T29a/29 2.5 ro/ws is power.
T29a/19 1.0 ro/ge is power.
T29a/10 2.5 br is ground.
T29a/28 1.0 br/bl is ground.

Fuse S238 (15A) fuse goes to left and right front door modules.
Circuit breaker S43 (30A) goes to all 4 door modules.

If other windows roll up and down, fuse and breaker are good.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a wiring diagram you could share with me as to what each wire controls and what each is as far as power or ground?
Thx.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I do not have any wiring diagrams to share, but I've given you the information for powers and grounds for the right front door module.

T = terminal housing, the plastic bit wires are fitted to.
T29 = a terminal housing with 29 positions.
T29a = the second 29 position terminal housing in the vehicle.
T29a/29 = position #29
T29a/19 = position #19
1.0 = 1mm diameter wire
2.5 = 2.5mm diameter wire
ro = red
ws = white
ro/ws = red wire with white trace
br = brown
bl = blue
br/bl = brown wire with blue trace

To that end, does the right front door module have powers at terminal positions 19 and 29, the red wires with white traces?

If not, is there damage to the door wiring harness?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't get a chance to check the harness last weekend. Will try to chase the wires to make sure there is no breaks this weekend. Used vagcom and it said that there was low voltage to the lock the last time I looked at it. If I find any breaks or chafes what kind of wire do I use to patch it? I know there won't be any extra to fix it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Wiring repairs are to be done via crimp connectors (to which I sell some of them). No soldering allowed as per VW / Audi.

The easiest fix would be a new length of wire to be run through the rubber boot and crimped at both ends. One crimp behind the trim panel at the base of the A-pillar, and the other crimp in the door, several inches past the rubber boot.

The fewer crimps the better, but 2 well done crimps would be safe. I use crimpers like this:

S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece - Crimpers - Amazon.com

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tore into the door this evening and didn't find any wires chafed. My son came over to give me a hand chasing the problem(had heart surgery Tuesday morning). It has rained here several times this week and when he scanned it with VCDS; all we could find was low voltage on the door module. I hit the window switch to see if the window would drop and it jerked down about 1 inch. Hit again and dropped another inch. Did this several more times and got the window down 1/2 way but wouldn't go back up. My son has had several verts and said he thought the motor was bad, so we took it off. He pulled the board out and it was completely corroded up and the printed circuit on the back of the board was bubbled up on over 1/3 of it. Picking up a new motor up in the morning to replace it to see if this corrects it. Even if it doesn't, I know it will have to be replaced since the board is bad.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow up. Replaced the passenger window motor and all is well. The window drops as it should and the door now locks again. The printed board in the motor was the problem all along. It controls a lot of things in the door.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts