NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cute, Yet Terrifying
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. My beetle is a 1999 with 102 000 kms (sorry I'm Canadian) and I am slowly burning oil. There is no blue smoke coming out of my exhaust and I am not leaking it. Do beetles have PCV valves??? My friends and I are thinking that my problem may be coming from. If not then its getting on top of the pistons and I am not rich enough to have VW take my engine apart to find out... HELP ME!!!;)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
If it is a 2.0L it is burning oil because it needs new rings. This is a common 2.0L problem. Do a search at the old forums (forums.newbeetle.org) and you'll find many references to it.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
As a stop gap measure, try using a slightly thicker oil. Such as Esso 0w-40. It will make winter starting easer as well.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
hannaco said:
As a stop gap measure, try using a slightly thicker oil. Such as Esso 0w-40. It will make winter starting easer as well.
Look for the Esso XD-3 Ow40. It's a full PAO synthetic for roughly $4 a litre. You're practically stealing it at that price (a full PAO!!!). It's a HDEO (i.e geared towards diesel but perfectly OK to use in a gasoline engine and you might find it helps clean the engine). The only caveat is, if you're really burning a lot of oil, I've read that burning diesel oil can poison your cat (not the one that goes meow either).

Oh, btw, there is no PCV valve on the 2.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts