NewBeetle.org Forums banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Ok, I just heard from the dealership. It’s official, the engine is shot.

He said there definitely was no oil in it. They filled it up, it started up, they let it run and it was doing fine. As soon as they gave it some gas, when it hit 2000 RPM the oil pressure dropped. They pulled the oil pan and there was a mess. Said there’s definitely internal engine damage and it needs a new engine. They are calling their insurance agent now to see what to do now. I asked if this would be a new engine or used, he said he didn’t know.

I told him I take great care of this car. It has low miles, never had a problem, and that from no fault of mine, my engine is now trashed, and I will not accept anything but a new engine. That even with that, considering they failed to do a simple oil change, I’m worried about their ability to do an engine swap. And that a used engine will only make that feeling of uneasiness worse.

Good for you, Pete! And if they show any signs of trying to give you the shaft just throw the word lawyer in the convo and they'll change their tune real fast. They better or I'll send some friends from Long Island with their Louisville Sluggers :kult: :p

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Good for you, Pete! And if they show any signs of trying to give you the shaft just throw the word lawyer in the convo and they'll change their tune real fast. They better or I'll send some friends from Long Island with their Louisville Sluggers :kult: :p
Ha ha. Thanks Amy! I had a bit of a revelation while I was out running at lunch. It could have been worse. They could have taken the car for a test spin after the work and totaled it, and that would be the end of it. So at least I know I will be getting my car back. Just with a new heart. Sucks, but it could have been worse.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
yeah i would still hope for an AWV or AWW if it were me. im sure you have the APH now.
While that would be nice, I'm afraid that would be too much to ask. That'd require quite a bit more, if I'm not mistaken.

The Vortex peeps are telling me to tell them to replace the Turbo and all external lines as well. I'd think that would be part of the engine, but guess not?

But an AWW would mean at least a new ECU as well, would the fuel injectors be part of the engine too? Or maybe that'd be another change.

Not to mention my chip. I'm thinking they replace with another APH, at least I still have the chip in my ECU and don't have to worry about that.

·
Super Moderator
20,812 Posts
Pete, you gotta demand your service money back! You also should get a brand new, full warrantied, engine. Good Luck!
Agreed.

There was a co-worker of mine who had an oil change done on his trailblazer, and dude forgot to put the drain plug back on....Totalled the engine. He got a new warrantied engine. You deserve the same Pete.

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Man Pete that REALLY sucks. I've been piecing everything together from here and the Vortex. If the dip stick was bone dry, and the oil cap not even tight it definately prooves negligance on the part of the dealership. If you would like, I can fire off some emails to a couple of industry friends to see if they have ever come across anything like this. I know one guy who's a service rep for Infiniti, so I'm fairly certain he's come across this before.

I absolutely demand a refund of your service bill. That or put a stop payment on your check or credit card or however you paid for it. And don't be affraid to talk to dealer principle if you have to. In fact, I would insist you get him involved.

The red fluid looks like hydrolic fluid to me. Maybe from a tor truck or something case there sure isn't anything on a beetle that's hydrolic.

·
Semi-Lurk Mode: GOOOOO
2,842 Posts
I'm so sorry Pete.

But look at the bright side! You will most likely get a brand new motor, with a brand new warranty!

And yes, the 'tex guys are right. DEFINITELY push for a new turbo. The turbo gets it's oil from the motor, so no oil = bad turbo.

·
Super Moderator
5,283 Posts
Oh noes poor buggy :( hopoefully he's up and running good soon with a new hear and what not

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
geez, Pete. i haven't been in this thread in a while...sorry to see what happened to Hopper. :(

sure hope the dealer puts his big boy pants on and takes care of you...it'd be nice if he stepped up, installed a new engine, refunded the cost of the service, AND gave you a rental until Hopper is fixed.

good luck.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Just got off the phone with the dealer's insurance company.

They are sending an appraiser out to look at the car. I won't hear anything else back until Wednesday or Thursday at the earliest. :(

He did say their policy is to replace parts with like quality. So they'll only pay for a used engine, otherwise, they can write up a "betterment" agreement where they can get something better, but then I pay the difference.

I said I'll have to work that out with the dealership.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealer's insurance company.

They are sending an appraiser out to look at the car. I won't hear anything else back until Wednesday or Thursday at the earliest. :(

He did say their policy is to replace parts with like quality. So they'll only pay for a used engine, otherwise, they can write up a "betterment" agreement where they can get something better, but then I pay the difference.

I said I'll have to work that out with the dealership.
Good luck! I HOPE that you can get a new engine for hopper because I know how well you've taken care of him and you don't want to risk getting someone's junk. While I hope the dealer will pay the 'betterment' fee, I think you might have a very difficult time convincing them. :(

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
That's total bullcrap! They better pay the betterment fee! If it weren't for them you wouldn't be in this mess! :mad: I would tell the dealership that with how well you have taken care of Hopper it is somewhat unlikely that they're going to be able to come up with "like parts". Most likely as "like" as they try to come to Hopper's original engine, it will still be inferior and you won't know the history of it and how it was treated. They can't guarantee you that it wasn't an abused engine, right? So the only way they can say that whatever they come up with is "like" Hoppers original engine is by giving you something with similar mileage and that's just unacceptable. How do you know if it had regular oil changes? How do you know it wasn't used by some teenager who raced it and then totalled it somehow?
I say push for those idiots at the dealership to get you something new. They need to do right by you after all this crap they caused you.

Good luck, Pete!

·
Can you handle it??
1,673 Posts
I am so sorry. It makes me really sad and mad, all at the same time. I wish you the best, but just like all the others, I would stay on the dealership. It is their dumb mistake. You should not have to pay ANYTHING!
AND Why would you take a used engine?? You have no idea what has already been done to it, and unless the dealership is willing to back it for the same amount of mileage that was on the first, I would say no dice.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
To play a bit of devil's advocate here, I'm going to start off by saying that Pete has EVERY right to be upset and he knows I'm on his side.

The dealer's insurance is right. They shouldn't have to cover a new engine when the dealer didn't damage a new engine. Ideally, the dealership would agree to pay the difference in the 'betterment agreement' but from a business standpoint, you're going to have an uphill battle.

If they MAKE you take a used engine, settle for no less than one that they can pull up the service records on (VIN) and they be very comparable to Hoppers.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts
About this Discussion
198 Replies
70 Participants
HarlequinPixie
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing