NewBeetle.org Forums banner

161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
The dealer's insurance is right. They shouldn't have to cover a new engine when the dealer didn't damage a new engine. Ideally, the dealership would agree to pay the difference in the 'betterment agreement' but from a business standpoint, you're going to have an uphill battle.
Oh, I agree. I'm not upset with the insurance company. They're just doing what they do. The insurance company will come up with a figure they are willing to pay based on what a comperable used engine would cost. The dealer will have to come up with the rest.

I do have a couple things on my side. One, my car is still under the 10 year, 100,000 mile power train warranty. So really, if my engine had died on it's own, and I had proof of all service (which I do have), then really, the engine should be under warranty.

I've also waved a rental car. You figure it'll be a week before they even get an answer, probably a weeek to get the parts in, and a week to swap the engine. So I'm saving them 3 weeks of a rental car.

Also, I still haven't asked for a refund on the service.

I think I'm being a pretty nice guy about it so far, and hoping they return the favor. If not, I will then suddenly need that rental car and will demand they refund the $442 I paid for their service that killed my engine.

I will also get in touch with an attorney as well as a local consumer advocate from a news station.

:)

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
I think I'm being a pretty nice guy about it so far, and hoping they return the favor. If not, I will then suddenly need that rental car and will demand they refund the $442 I paid for their service that killed my engine.

I will also get in touch with an attorney as well as a local consumer advocate from a news station.

:)
:werd:

·
Super Moderator
20,812 Posts
Know any lawyers?
I know VWofA is a big, super wealthy corporation, but you have a good case.
I totally agree.

There has to be some legal action you can take on this matter. Getting a used engine can be a crap shoot, and i'm sure the warranty is very limited as well.

I don't know if this would be of any help, but most TV news teams have an consumer investigation/advocate team, who'll expose rip-offs, frauds and unfair business practices. Maybe your local news team could be of some help. The legal option is my first choice, but you never know.

Just read your post and i'm glad you agree with the news advocate angle of things.... it could help.

I sure hope you get a new engine out of this, with no out of pocket expense on you behalf- it's not right man.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Ok, got some updates on Friday.

After not hearing from anyone all week (other than a few voice mail tags - all initiated by me), I called and left yet another voice mail for the general manager of the dealership. Explained the situation, how my car has been sitting there for a week, no one is giving me updates, the insurance company wants to give me a used engine, yada yada yada.

The GM called back a few hours later with the service manager on speaker. Said she screamed at him after hearing all this, and that I shouldn't be having to go to them.

Anyway, long story short, the insurance company had approved a new engine, would be contacting me soon to give my authorization, and once that was done, I was to call the dealership to order the parts.

About 4 hours later, I get another call, asking if I'd like to have my car totaled. :(

I said no way. He didn't think so. Turns out the insurance company will only pay 75% of the car's value. They appraised my car at around $7,500, the work for the new engine would be $7,700. So the dealership said they will cover the additional cost.

They kinda make it sound like they'd be doing me a favor, but really, they'll be getting everything at cost. That $7,700 would be if I had destroyed my engine myself and had to pay retail for the parts / labor. Since that isn't the case, I can't imagine the dealership will really even paying anything out of their own pocket.

But the good news is they were ordering the new engine / turbo on Friday, should hvae it on Tuesday, and 2-4 days later, I sould have Hopper back!

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
total Hopper, indeed. :bash: :soapbox:

glad they're going to take care of you, Pete.

i'm happy to hear it. :nblove::banana:

Warren

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Now Pete's just going to have to abide by the 500 mile break in period on the new motor. You should order up a cam, and other internals now. :D

I'm really glad everything is working out.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

·
Super Moderator
20,812 Posts
:banana: All right Pete! Congrats on the new engine and props to you for not settling for whatever they dished to you... Way to go buddy:bigthumb:

And I think you're right on the folks not losing money on this. I'm sure there's some kind of bonded/liscensing/insurance umbrella covering them for incidents such as this.

Again congrats Pete and Hopper:banana:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Congrats on getting the new engine, Pete!
Did you ask them about refunding the $ you paid for the service the day they ruined him?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Engine replacement is under way!

They already pulled the tranny, and are swapping things over to the new engine now (hoses, etc.). Already saw my gauges and said that's no problem.

They're throwing in a new water pump / timing belt at no charge. The water pump went about 3 years ago, but they didn't do the timing belt at the time. So anyway, now that's one less thing to worry about.

They also said my clutch is shot, probably wouldn't last till Spring. I figured that had to be coming soon. They're just gonna charge me for parts since they had to take it all apart anyway. So not bad.

Could possibly be done tomorrow!

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
wow..

maybe next time you need service, you can bring it to me and Ill be glad to change any and all fluids/filters you need, provide you with a nice invoice stating the same, and charge you less..

·
Senior Member Sponsor
1,345 Posts
Hi Pete!

Man! don't check out a friends car thread for awhile

and look what happens! Glad to hear every thing is headed

in the right direction. The tech should have been fired.

How can you not remember to add oil? When your doing an oil change?

Hey, PM me the next time youins do a GTG in the Burgh.:D

161 - 180 of 199 Posts
About this Discussion
198 Replies
70 Participants
HarlequinPixie
NewBeetle.org Forums
The New Beetle forum, come in and join our discussions on the new Volkswagen Beetle. Talk about modifications, performance and color choices.
Full Forum Listing