VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! (First real post!) I've searched for a thread addressing this problem but haven't found one that answers my question. The spots on my bug are giant amazing decals that cause children to smile and adults to involuntarily "Moo" from far distances. However, close up they are not as impressive. The edges, specifically the hood decals, are beginning to peel and flake. Any good solutions to stop the peeling? Anything I can do to keep the others from following suit?

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
This may not work but... the only thing I can think of is to use a good vinyl adhesive. Apply it to the edges where they are lifting. In my experience, over time, most decals will lift. It's just a matter of age and exposure to the environment. Give it a try. Anyone else have an idea? :confused:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good place to start. I also heard clear nail polish for cracking but I'm skeptical about applying that to the surface.

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
You mentioned they are removable decals. How old are they?? Maybe you could REMOVE them, TRIM the edges (wipe the car down with an automotive wax stripper/cleaner) THEN RE-APPLY the decals.

Or .....maybe it's time for a NEW set of AWESOME SPOTS. ;)

***Rememer that automatic and magic wand car wash places ARE NOT MegNmoos friends. You need to hand wash your baby***

:D

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Hey Megan,
Noticed you needed some of these.

4 Pieces Brand New VW Golf Passat 90mm Wheel Center Cap Emblems Sticker | eBay

Very good price with FREE shipping direct from China. $8.99 for a set of 4
90mm is the CORRECT SIZE for your stock mk4 "Monte Carlo" style vw wheels....(yes,that is the name of the wheels you have).

See ;) the link below:
OEM Volkswagen Wheel Database

****NEW EDIT***** You may even be interested in THESE (I have the yellow flowers on my Chelsea-see my photo album on my profile) they are a little pricey BUT,a lot of FUN! :p

Sandi in TN

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had them professionally done and I'm not sure I have the ability to put them back properly if I were to remove, trim, and reapply. I have had them for 5 years now. Is there any coating that may prevent further lifting or new lifting in other places?

I did trim the decals back and thus far no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts