NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like acceleration and am curious what differt mods do...

Base 1.8T NB @ 150 hp is somewhere around 7.6sec 0 to 60 and 15.9 sec 1/4 mi.

What would just a GIAC/APR 93oct chip do?

What about other mods -- maybe top would be the APR Stage 3 mod (300hp with 104 oct??)

I looked for a thread but could not find one....

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
all depends on traction.... not fun when u spin tires crazy... down side of fwd

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with wheelspin comment. I guess I was asking knowing that driver would need to control; wheelspin as much as possible.

Vdubed -- I hated to see that your VW is gone... The s2000 is nice though -- but no Turbo...

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Right now I pretty much have everything but the big turbo and FMIC......

I haven't done any timed 0-60 runs other than with a stop watch but I'm somewhere in the upper 5's to lower 6's depending on which tires (15" drag radials, 16" snows or 18" summer) I have on the car.

I'm not expecting to get much better than that though due to the constraints of FWD.

Even throwing down well over 320whp and running 12's the best I have seen out of a Golf (same chassis) was 0-60 of 5.4. There are just certain limits you can't get beyond with FWD.

The same power in an EVO VIII MR 400bhp or 320whp gets you around 0-60 of 3.5-4.1 (depending on which magazine you believe) ... gotta love that AWD. :D

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
well i had a 6 pluck and 7 pound flywheel..... with slicks i would tear up evos and anything u could throw at me!!!!! with the gt30r on my 0-60 time would be horable.... bc no boost till 5 grand.... ive seen gti's run 12.2 om the 1/4.... so anything is possable... and yea i to miss the beetle. tear tear!!!!

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
In the power realm it's torque that plays the much greater part in acceleration over horsepower, one must also seriously consider traction, weight, suspension/weight transfer, vehicle balance and drivetrain efficiency if 0-60 and quarter mile times are what interest you.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Once you have enough torque to get the vehicle up to its trap speed.. its horsepower that gets you there faster.

Examples of that are all over the motorcycle world where there are 150+hp engines with only 70lb/ft that run 9's in the 1320.

Semi Trucks are an example of the other extreme... massive torque with very little horsepower. They accelerate really slowly but they can move a lot of mass.

This is basic highschool physics.. I know because I just asked my wife..... she is a HS physics teacher ;)

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
There are some major areas you failed to consider:

1. Vehicle curb weight.

2. Vehicle power to weight ratio.

3. Transmission/differential design and purpose.

4. Transmission and differential gearing.

5. Engine purpose and design.

6 Manufacturers intended vehicle purpose.

A motorcycle sport bike at about 400Lbs. curb weight has substantially less mass to move and a far greater power to weight ratio than most cars which typically range from about 2200Lbs. to 3500Lbs. curb weight, for these reasons a motorcycles acceleration is likely to be much faster than that of a car.

Most motorcycles and performance level cars either have a torque number that is a little less than it's horsepower rating or one that is comparable, the gearing in their transmissions and differentials are designed to benefit this type of vehicles intended purpose which is, acceleration, maneuverability and comfort.

Quite to the contrary, "Semi's" are extremely heavy with a curb weight in excess of 10,000Lbs. with tremendously more mass to move, not only is a Semi's torque level around three time it's horsepower rating but it's power to weight ratio isn't even in the same Solar System as the previously mentioned vehicles and cannot begin to compare.

A Semi's transmission and differential design and gearing is setup to compliment the engine design and the vehicles purpose, that purpose is for pulling and carrying very heavy items which requires massive torque over horsepower and a number of close ratio transmissions gears coupled with a special differential and clutch setup.

The cars being discussed in this thread and most of these forums are designed and being modified for acceleration and speed where as Semi's are designed for exactly the opposite, you are comparing apples with oranges.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
While not mentioned those are assumed.

The arguments you present echo mine.. I do not understand the conflict?

Semis being heavy and designed to move huge amounts of mass... Torque is the answer to that.

Lightwieght and designed to accelerate like a bullit motorcycles.. huge hp tiny torque... ummm I allready said that.

I'm not sure if you are trying to argue with, agree with me or simply echoing my statement.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
One should never assume anything, when making a point about something one should attempt to be somewhat detailed and clear about what they are stating, leaving too many pieces of information out only confuses those with less understanding of the subject.

Anyone reading, clearly understanding and comparing your comments on this thread against mine will see that my reply is in no way shape or form an echo or reiteration of yours.

I'm not at all trying to argue, I'm just stating the facts with some detail and clarity so that anyone out there reading will be able to understand what I'm saying without having to, assume.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Yes eventually but not until I can get some specific in progress interior and exterior projects finished, unfortunately some of these things take far more time to properly complete than ever expected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts