NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who makes the best performace camshaft for the 2.0? I was going to go with neuspeed, but I know there has to be a better alternative. I need more mid-high range. It would be awesome if I could get one that had a LOT more top end, because thats where our engines lack (lol). Can anyone help me out? I also don't want to trigger a CEL, anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The 260 cam is the highest you can run before you set off a CEL on the OBDII 2.0L

Starting in 2002 or 2003, they are touchier, so even the 260 will sometimes trigger a CEL.

That's about all I know on that topic. :)

SMG

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about running this one. If the CEL comes on, can I turn it off, or will it stay on forever?

Schrick Street / Strip Camshaft:
For mid range to upper end performance.
> 272° Intake / 272° Exhaust Camshaft
• 11.4mm Lift (Intake / Exhaust)
• Overlap Intake: 110°
• Overlap Exhaust: 110°

Could I still use the stock lifters and stuff, and also, will this kill my low end torque?

·
Super Awesome
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anyone?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I've heard nothing buy good preaise from the Techtonics cams. And adding an upsolute or rocketchip chip will only help the cause. adding better lifters donest hurt much either. i've been thinking of going this route also. You should talk to the cheat, he's done it to one if his former 2.0 vw's, and he can fill you in on all you need to know.

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
BeetleCamry said:
I was thinking about running this one. If the CEL comes on, can I turn it off, or will it stay on forever?

Could I still use the stock lifters and stuff, and also, will this kill my low end torque?
You will need to replace your valve springs also. TT sells a good set of high rpm dual valve springs that would could use with this set-up. That is a relatively large cam for a street car. You will have a fairly lumpy idle (possibly stall when cold). If your car is chipped I would recommend going in to raise the idle a bit and accomodate for this cam. You will lose some bottom end, but with an adjustable cam-gear your could advance the timing a few degrees and regain some of that torque.

The TT268' is a relatively decent cam for a street car, but requires the same as mentioned above.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
BeetleCamry said:

just as a rule of thumb and other people might disagree with me but this is just what i do

when replacing a cam...all of the valve train stuff gets tossed with the stock cam..lifters, rockers(even if being replaced by stock replacements) and definitelly the valve springs

the only way i wouldn't replace any of that is if the motor was fresh or the car didn't have 10xxx miles on it and was getting 'violated' so to speak

good luck and let us know how it works out...im curious as to how the 2.0 responds to a cam and head work

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
jazzcat said:
just as a rule of thumb and other people might disagree with me but this is just what i do

when replacing a cam...all of the valve train stuff gets tossed with the stock cam..lifters, rockers(even if being replaced by stock replacements) and definitelly the valve springs
New equipment is always a good idea no matter what since you know you are starting fresh. With that said, it isn't necessary in the 2.0 as the head is relatively sturdy. The valve springs is a must as you run the risk of coil bind on the standard single spring set-up. Early OBD 1 2.0's had a dual valve spring set-up but you might as well order new. As long as you don't have an insane amount of miles the lifters are generally ok, and rockers are non-existent so you don't have to worry about them. About the only other thing I would look into is retainers which you can get through techtonics as well.

I didn't mention this before, but if you are serious about the 272' cam, your best bet is to remove the head (or find a core) and do some port/ polishing/ bowl work as well. The cam is only as good as the air that can get in and out of the head. By opening up the head you can really let the cam free. While the head is off you can port match the manifolds and de-bump the throttle body as well.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Unless you get a custom flash, you WILL get a CEL. Deal with it.

That being said, any time you do a cam, you must replace the lifters and springs. The stock 2.0 cam is 221* intake/exhaust and thus the lifters can't handle the extended duration. Trust me, I know...I didn't heed the warning and gnashed a lifter on my 3800-mile 2004 2.0 Jetta. This time around with the 03 2.0 Jetta, I knew better and and did it right the first time.

I say get a 268 cam from Techtonics and see if maybe they have software for you...I think they have pre-03 software as it's a solder installation for the chip up to that point. I'm running custom Rocketchip software optimized for my mods (272cam, lifters, springs, AEM CAI, Bosal 4-1 with hi-flow cat, 2.5" piping with Flowmaster muffler and GLI tip), and I'm right at 135-140whp.

The 2.0 responds quite well to a new cam. I gained untuned on my 2004, 10hp/17tq from a 272 cam. Once tuned, I was right at where I was on the 03. I had simiar mods on the 04.

·
266 Posts
I had the neuspeed 260 cam. Car ran like crap and got the cel light. I wouldent go any more than 256, unless you want your car to sound like an tractor. Also get a cam adjuster my power dident come on intill 5700rpm. It was slow off the line. imo the stock cam was much better when i put it back in.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Beetlecup said:
I had the neuspeed 260 cam. Car ran like crap and got the cel light. I wouldent go any more than 256, unless you want your car to sound like an tractor. Also get a cam adjuster my power dident come on intill 5700rpm. It was slow off the line. imo the stock cam was much better when i put it back in.
were you tuned? putting a huge cam into a car with no changes will make it run like crap

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
in reality you aren't getting the most out of the cam anyway unless your chipped and your car is remapped to compensate for the extra airflow. Plus a chip will raise the idle and clear some of the "tractor" like feel when at rest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts