NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest mod to increase HP on a stock 2.0....also...what Exhaust and brand intakes do you guys recomend???

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Cold air intake would be the easiest to add a small amount of HP, adding a better exhaust would also help (but that's performance basics 101 right there).

ecstuning.com :)

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
Unless you plan on doing some piping or other means to get cold air to the filter, the best intake is a K&N drop-in panel filter and a removed snowbox. As far as exhaust, Techtonics and Borla make good units.

The biggest power gain you will notice is in head work. Get a chip like GIAC with a Techtonics 268' cam and you will feel the difference. Then get the filter and exhaust and let all of that breathe.

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
degny21 said:
Installing a chip...what kind of HP increase will i get?
on previous cars installing an off the shelf chip i never noticed a seat of the pants difference...it helps clear up timing issues and evens out the fuel curve but its better to have a chip burned to your specific needs

id suggest getting a flip chip with a 'race program' and a 'street program'..the race program having advanced timing and the other necessities to go fast while the street program giving you the best MPG

thats just my .02 though and im not all that familiar with nb performance..just going off what has worked for me in the past ;)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
degny21 said:
What is the easiest mod to increase HP on a stock 2.0....also...what Exhaust and brand intakes do you guys recomend???
As a 2.0L owner, I'd say the easiest mod would be to trade the car in on a 1.8T. :)

No, really. That'd be easier and cheaper to get the same hp.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
bugasm99 said:
that is always a valid solution. Although not always the easiest, if you have the means it is the quickest.
I really was serious though... if you took 2 Beetles, one 1.8T and one 2.0L. With same mileage, same area of the country, same condition, same options. I would estimate that increasing the 2.0L to the same hp as the 1.8T would be more expensive than selling the 2.0L and buying that "equivalent" 1.8T.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Porkchop said:
I really was serious though... if you took 2 Beetles, one 1.8T and one 2.0L. With same mileage, same area of the country, same condition, same options. I would estimate that increasing the 2.0L to the same hp as the 1.8T would be more expensive than selling the 2.0L and buying that "equivalent" 1.8T.
The phrase "labor of love," comes to mind: it shouldn't matter if you really loved the car itself, right?? :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
jazzcat said:
but if you got the same car...with a better platform for modifications...wouldn't you love the car more? :D
Well... i'm an odd ball. I couldn't get a 1.8 with manual windows, so no. Because I take manual power over faulty power windows :)D) I'd rather mod the 2.0 out than to contend with window switches and bad regulators in the doors of the 1.8T (that's called excess work).

That and I really am more about economy (I want to be in the TDI camp) over performance. But look at Jesse James or well most any highly modified VW (Streth Bus, Jetta from Bugapaluza 7 as examples)... it doesn't really matter about the platform so long as someone has a dream and the wallet to make it happen. Why make a stretch Jetta... buy a lincoln limo istead.. but where is the fun in THAT!?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts