VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 01' turbo beetle ,before I could replace the belt and water pump, it broke. I've decided to remain positive and have decided to upgrade everything with performance parts. pending of course I've only bent valves. Am I on a fools quest or does it sound like the thing to do? where is a good place to order performance parts?
Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know there are some guys on here that know these cars pretty good but I have an 04' and have used Blauparts.com. They have a couple of timing belt kits with a really good water pump(metal impeller) and the one I bought has a high performance timing belt. I wasn't brave enough to do it myself so I got a local mechanic to install it and did a great job. I also got the coolant, thermostat/housing, and transmission oil and filter kit from them as well even though vw says the transmission is "service free"...yeah right! That one I did myself which was super easy! All the parts from Blauparts seem to be good quality parts. Just my input...hope it helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, I found out my tensioner came loose and allowed the belt to pinch and rip in two. going to look for a leak down tester. any ideas where to find one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am not sure what kind of performance parts you are after. If you want to hot rod it be prepared for it to take 5 times as long cost 3 times as much money and have endless issues to sort out until you are relatively happy with it to start with. Once you have that all sorted - it is like a disease the next thing is 3 inch cat back exhaust, then a chip, then something else. It never really ends. It is kind of like how do you get a small fortune racing? Start with a big one. Is it possible to hot rod? Yes. Is it opening up a big expensive can of worms, absolutely. Is it fun, well, yes, after much pain and suffering.

No reason to upgrade if the belt broke and you have a couple bent exhaust valves, or even all 4 exhaust valves, which is likely the case. Broken belt usually wipes out all the exhaust valves, but you can verify 100% leak down if you want.

Just have the head redone, put a timing belt kit in it and be done with it.

Replace the belt and use a good one like Continental, replace the tensioner, water pump with a metal impeller we usually replace the cam and crank seals at the same time. It is not that bad of job to do yourself but you need to have some tools and pay attention to the getting the timing marks all lined up right.

You will need a tensioner tool, cam lock and crank lock.

It seems like the 1.8s always end up a 1/2 a tooth off, and one direction is ok the other direction will set a CPS error.

I would go to vwpartsvortex.com for parts.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I purchase a project NB 4 years ago and I use it as a training aid. The previous owner did not changed the timing belt so it snapped ... anyway here is the link, it will give you some idea of what is involved in getting the cylinder head re-manufactured.

At some point I hope to get it all put back together and drive it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts