NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed driver side rear tire low today while at work (03 NBC w OEM alloys). I get home and attempt to pump it up w my compressor but it won't take air or give a reader on the guage. I assume the stem core is messed up so head off to auto parts store and buy a new valve stem core and removal tool.
Assumption is I will remore stem core and lose all air, replace and inflate. Makes sense so far right?
I remove the core carefully in anticipation of a rush of air and....nothing. No a bit of air comes out with the core completely removed so I assume must be some crud in the stem impeding flow so I use compressor to blow it out. No change. I carefully insert a long then rod in the stem to free debris=nothing. I agai take compressor with rubber tip and attempt to inflate-it goes up a bit then leaks back out to point I started but no lower. At this point I install the new core and attempt to inflate to no avail. I am at a loss here. My only guess is previous owner used fix-a-flat or something and gummed it up to a self sealing state. If so how do you inflate to desired pressure?

Ideas?

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
FixAFlat is some nasty stuff once it sets up. The tire will probably need to be dismounted, and cleaned out. Tire shops hate the stuff.:D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Definately put one of the cores back in and take it to a tire shop. A new stem, and probably a real fix of the tire is in order.

MORAV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts