NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, search the forums high and low for this one. Closest thing I could find was possibly a "hear valve".

Here is the issue. I have almost 80K on my 5 sp 2.0. (Have the 80K kit in hand w/ water pump/timing belt/etc.). For the last 2 weeks I have noticed sporaticaly a half dollar size antifreez leak. I crawled under and the drip point is on the left side near the back of the oil pan. Crazy place in my opinion. I couldn't trace it back to it's orign. So I started it up and ran it for a good 10 min. WIth and without the heater on.

Jacked it back up...nothing...nada. No leak. I felt all around the water pump and best I could on the lower hose. 2 days later (after driving it as usual). I notice again a small quarter to half-dollar size anti-freeze leak. Again couldn't trace it back. I found a small amount of residue on the Cam shaft cover. Maybe spraying from somewhere? Coolant Flange was suggested in a thread. If anybody could verify the coolant I would apprecite it. I show one on page 19-16 in my Bentely Manual. Item #12

Any ideas? I would think if it was the water pump I would feel or see it. I found in another post on the old forum a "heart valve" located in the back of the block caused someone a similar problem, but Bentely manual doesn't show a "heart valve". :confused:

Oh, and no smell inside so I am guessing heater core is okay.

I haven't even had to add any antifreeze yet, but I have a gallon from VW just in case.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am going to give the Flange and Seals a try.

Flange Part no. 06A-121-132-C $11.94
O-Rings Part no. N-903-168-02 $1.32

At least that was the suggestion of the parts counter. They said that is what my symptoms sound like. After looking at it I agree.

Sooooooooooo....for those who find an anti-freeze leak on the drivers side in a 2.0 might consider what I have done.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
When you say left side, do you mean left as you're looking into the engine bay from the front of the car, or left as in the drivers side of the engine bay? Your symptoms sound exactly like mine (if your spot is left as in the driver's side) and it was my heart valve. The G12 leaves a red crusty residue wherever it has dried. Try feeling around the heart valve with your finger for dried coolant, or shine a light on it and look very closely at the valve, and also look below the valve where coolant would naturally drip for the telltale red crusty stuff. You have any trouble with the heart valve, just ask, 'cause I just did mine about a month ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I think we are talking the same thing! I circled the valve and a line right to the middle of it. It's been dry for 3-4 days now but it sorta looks pinkish under it. Couldn't believe the part was only $12!

Attachments

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
dr427 said:
I am going to give the Flange and Seals a try.

Flange Part no. 06A-121-132-C $11.94
O-Rings Part no. N-903-168-02 $1.32

At least that was the suggestion of the parts counter. They said that is what my symptoms sound like. After looking at it I agree.

Sooooooooooo....for those who find an anti-freeze leak on the drivers side in a 2.0 might consider what I have done.
If the seal listed is for the valve to cylinder head, it comes on the heart valve - unless you just want to keep a spare around :)

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Yup, that's where mine was leaking from. The 'coolant flange' or 'heart valve'. Not complicated to change out, but I had a heckuva time removing the hoses from the flange. I really needed a pair of pliers specifically made to remove those spring type clamps that hold the hoses on, rather than a pair of vicegrips, stern looks and vulgar language.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 beetle hasa problem

A lot of steam was coming out from under the hood of my 2002 Beetle 2.0. You circled a flange or something in the picture. My car had fluid (antifreeze) coming out of that thing at about 7:00 in the diagram.
My question is - What is that thing at 7:00 in the diagram?
How can I fix this problem.

Thanks for any help....

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
That button looking thing at about 7 o clock is a plug for one of the openings in the "heart valve" It has an o ring on it which may be bad. or the plug may be cracked

1 - 10 of 10 Posts