NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, am i glad i found a forum....just hoping you can help!!
i am the proud owner of an x reg(2000), automatic 2ltr Beetle.
which i love.. however....
after having the car for about a year......
i am doing 145miles to a three quarters of a tank of petrol...and its getting worse!
i have just had the catalytic converter replaced, after the garage telling me that was the problem...but it has made no difference to the emmisions..or the mpg
im now stuck.......i love the car but it may have to go if i cant sort out this problem....surely they are not truly that gas guzzeling...are they??????
please could someone advise me..:confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Is this city or highway driving? What are your actual hand calculated mpgs? Have you scanned the car for codes? How are the spark plugs? Fuel filter? Air filters?

·
Registered
146 Posts
When last time done tune up? If not done in a while then needs done

sent from DROID. 2001 NB 2.0 manual Cyber Green

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info...a full service is on the agenda. the mpg was taken over a combined urban and long run....
the codes i have no idea about but hubby is looking into it!!!
thanks for the assistance..... we was wondering if the lambda sensor would make it worse????
i really do love this little motor..its the first ever vehicle that makes me understand why men get so obsessed with cars!!!!!;);)
i will be back!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ooops........PS......
where do we plug in a code reader.... and any suggestions which code reader is best to get?? sorry t obe a pain right from the start....but i am a woman!!!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Can you do a calculated MPG? Fill up, drive a given number of miles then fill up again. Take the number of miles then divide it by the number of gallons on the second fill. This will help up know exactly the number of miles you are getting. Also are you using winter fuel or fuels with alcohol added? These blends often provide up to a 20% drop miles per gallon.

The OBD port is under the dash on the driver's side near and above the hood release.

I have a ELM 327 Bluetooth port adapter and use my smart phone (droid) with the "Torque Pro" app. It gives me the codes and so much more.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I actually have a thread about this in another forum section on here! Different bug model/year than you but same fuel consumption issue!
Mine was quite bad until I changed:
Catalytic convertor
Spark plugs and wires
Air filter
Tires (my old ones were slowly loosing pressure)
And O2 sensor (this made a HUGE difference for me)
Those above made a difference of almost an extra 100km per tank for me. I'm still not getting what I should be but when your using that much gas, any extra helps!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts