NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been having a problem with my PhatBox, similar to a problem other people had mentioned. I'd be driving down the road and it would beep and shut off, giving me a message on the head unit of either No Changer or No Disk. I thought it had to be either the cartridge or the unit, checked the cables one more time, then did all I could think of and returned it to the vendor I'd bought it from. They agreed to exchange it for me, stating that they'd bought a few extras at the beginning for just this case. Lucky me! It was about a week that I had to listen to the radio and my collection of tapes, but I managed. The new unit arrived and I got it plugged in, then I learned that it hadn't been fixed. I realized that moving the unit and realligning the cartridge wasn't doing any good, so I tried the one other option there was. I hit the dash. And it worked.

I ended up buying a set of radio removal keys from the local dealership, I removed the radio and also the bottom set of switches on the center console (emergency blinker and rear defroster) to give me a bit more room to work with. The cable running to the back of the head unit was loose. I readjusted the cables in there, got the plug more firmly attached to the back of the radio, and have had no problems since.

I know this is long, but I was really happy. I hope this helps someone else!

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Yeah... My bf has had the same problem in his Passat (RIP) and his TT (soon to be RIP)...

I am looking forward to having the same problem in my NB here in a few days!

Thanks for the fix! I am sure it will come in handy :)

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear this has helped someone! Or might, at least!

Hopefully you won't actually have to use the info, but I assume it'll help someone down the line.

·
Thomas
361 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I had that happen to me when I had the CD changer installed, and it happened to me last week with the Phatbox. I thought it was because of the cold, but it worked after I unplugged and plugged the cable in the trunk. I'll check the cable behind the radio now, just in case.

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Best of luck. I was scared to pull out the radio. It was in there really tight! But it eventually came out, and it's been worth the effort and worry. Hooray for uninterrupted MP3s!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts