NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that the org has been revamped, I figured that now would be a good time to start a photo thread. I couldn't wait to start modding so I don't have any pre mod pics. These are a few I took this afternoon after I got part done with a project I started.

Mods so far:

Performance
APR chip: 91 and 93 octain programs
NGK iridium spark plugs
K&N drop in air filter
Dieselgeek short shifter
ECS Tuning Polyurethane dogbone mounts
Techtonics Tuning 2.5" cat back exhaust
APR down pipe

Exterior
Painted front and rear emblems
RSI inspired vinyl visor
Black Daytona wheels
Ebay clear front turn signals
Candy Red Painted Carbon Fiber engine cover
BFI 4" stubby antenna
Disabled DRL's
30% Tint

Interior
Pedals off a 20th AE GTI (round for a reason)
Relocated spoiler switch
Euro light switch
Autometer gauge pod w/ VDO boost, water temp and oil pressure
GTI steering wheel and airbag

Suspension
2.0" Drop, courtisy of Neuspeed
Bilstein Sport dampers

Mods to come:
Rear fog

Here are most recent pics:

More throughout the thread, below are first pics when it was stock.

Attachments

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
Hey Photo the New Beetle looks great. I like the new look you have chosen for the wheels. How does the car feel with just the chip(as opposed to stock). If you want it to go alot faster put on a turbo or cat-back and a K&N drop-in filter. And seeing that your car is a 2001 change your fuel filter, you will not believe the gain in HP from that simple step. Stop by my thread and give me a shout. let me know how the spoiler switch relocation went.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does the car feel with just the chip(as opposed to stock). If you want it to go alot faster put on a turbo or cat-back and a K&N drop-in filter. And seeing that your car is a 2001 change your fuel filter, you will not believe the gain in HP from that simple step. Stop by my thread and give me a shout. let me know how the spoiler switch relocation went.
Yelojkt, thanks for the kind words. The added power of the chip is phenominal! Worth every penny. I did change the fuel filter and noticed a bit of power increase. Certainly alot smoother if nothing else. A turbo back exhaust is on the way, just not too sure how far out. Thats the problem with performance mods; fun the first week until you get used to the added power. After that it's time to add more!

The relocation of the spoiler switch was kinda of a PITA. Mostly because of where I put it. I had to dremel out some thin metal behind the dash to get it to fit. Also pulled the wires out of the harness for more clearence. But now that I can reach it it's much better to deploy while driving.

·
Registered
26 Posts
01 turbo 2 (also)

Photo,

great spoiler switch, i know it's just a small mod, but it shoulda been there from day one.

i only have one mod (autotech cat back exhaust) but i've broken a lot of stuff :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Your bug has changed since I last saw it......:D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I finally got them ALL painted. It turned out better than I had expected. My brother in-law thought that I got an entirely new set of wheels. I'll try to get some pics up soon. I want to go out this weekend and take a lot of good ones instead of just in my driveway.

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
That is so cool. Was this a ghetto mod or did you use a real paint gun with single stage paint, Was it Dupont, or PPG? I have my set of stock rims that I have been thinking of painting black. I painted a set of Steel wheels for my "66" about 8 years ago. Put on three coats base and three clear. I think I do not want to go through all that process again. Can't wait to see the wheels and the NB with the wheels.

Marcus

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I didn't put on six coats of paint, nor did I use a paint gun. I did buy some wheel paint that is supposed to better and not chip or flake off. Dupli-color wheel paint from GI-Joes for $4.99 a can. Had to use 2 cans because I put on 2-3 coats per wheel. 2 light coats to get it all black and one good thick coat to even things out. I did do proper prep work by roughing up the origional finish and laying down some primer. But overall a good lookin' ghetto paint job.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I ran with it off one day because I was taking my car in for service at the dealer. I drove it for about a half hour in stock mode. That was after about a monthe of having it. When I turned it back on later that day what a difference. You can deffinetley tell when it is off. It's when it's not as much fun to drive.:lol: I usually don't turn it off except when I have to take it to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Woohoo! I got to drive this car! :queen: :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I'd give an update on my car. I finally finished painting all of the wheels black with red centers. Also, today I installed some new dogbone engine mounts to help eliminate wheel hop. These are great to have. The throttle response is very much improved and the overall feel of the car is a bit tighter. Handeling seems to have been improved also. The only drawback to this system is a bit more vibrations in the cab. It only seems to occure at low RPM's and mostly when taking off slowly. I only replaced the 2 bigger bushings as recomended to keep these vibrations to a minimum. Other than that I highly recomend this as an upgrade for anyone seeking a more responsive vehicle. I took some pics during the install and will post more when I get them downloaded to my computer. I can't seem to get my card reader to work.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts