NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating purchasing new wheels and tires last week and when I stopped by the VW dealership to pick up a part I ordered I asked about the VW wheels.

Sticker shock! $400 each is what they were asking, so with taxes and no tires, just the wheel, that would be over $1700, with rubber we're looking at over $2500. Gosh that's a lot to get a wheel with a VW logo...

So that got me to looking around online and I happened upon a local fellow selling his summer 17s from his 2006 Jetta that was totalled over the winter. He actually had 6 wheels/tires for sale, four with newer wheels, a fifth with an old wheel, and then a smaller spare tire. The wheels are in pretty good shape, the tires have been worn down some. I paid $1300 cash for the lot, which to me seems reasonable after looking online and seeing stock 16" on ebay for $80 USD without a center cap cover. After shipping and cutoms it would be close to $200CDN for me, and then I'd need to put on tires. All purchased sight unseen.

Wheels are: VW Santa Monica style, which you can see at 17 inch VW 5x100 wheel pics database

I thought at first that these had inserts between the spokes, but that is just a vanity effect as far as I can tell, those bolts are just for show it is all one piece. I have this idea to paint that grey over with a yellow paint to match the yellow bug.

Tires are: Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season 225/45R17 91H

I put the wheels/tires on last night and gave them a quick test drive on the existing inflation of 30psi. I noticed road noise after 60KM (40MPH) that climbed with the speed and frequency of the tires as I accelerated to 100km (60mph). I brought it back in to home and checked the torque on the lugs.

After doing a bit of research here I determined that my inflation levels were low, so I brought it up to 32psi this morning (ambient temp. was 3C about 36F).

When I drove it again this afternoon the road noise is still there. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side, I think back but maybe front. Overall these tires seem louder/noisier than the winter rated tires I just swapped out! And boy do our roads suck balls here. Rough is as good as it gets.

So after reading all that, here are my questions for any interested in answering:

1. Am I still under inflated, should I bring it up to 35psi?
2. Should I get the wheels and tires checked for balance? I noticed no vibrations or pulling on the steering (other than the 40KM gusting crosswinds that is).
3. Just scrap these tires? Reviews I've read online seem to indicate that these tires don't last that long before the get very loud and perform poorly.
4. Painting the grey part, good idea? What type of paint, any how-tos or DIY threads maybe?

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
I was contemplating purchasing new wheels and tires last week and when I stopped by the VW dealership to pick up a part I ordered I asked about the VW wheels.

Sticker shock! $400 each is what they were asking, so with taxes and no tires, just the wheel, that would be over $1700, with rubber we're looking at over $2500. Gosh that's a lot to get a wheel with a VW logo...

So that got me to looking around online and I happened upon a local fellow selling his summer 17s from his 2006 Jetta that was totalled over the winter. He actually had 6 wheels/tires for sale, four with newer wheels, a fifth with an old wheel, and then a smaller spare tire. The wheels are in pretty good shape, the tires have been worn down some. I paid $1300 cash for the lot, which to me seems reasonable after looking online and seeing stock 16" on ebay for $80 USD without a center cap cover. After shipping and cutoms it would be close to $200CDN for me, and then I'd need to put on tires. All purchased sight unseen.

Wheels are: VW Santa Monica style, which you can see at 17 inch VW 5x100 wheel pics database

I thought at first that these had inserts between the spokes, but that is just a vanity effect as far as I can tell, those bolts are just for show it is all one piece. I have this idea to paint that grey over with a yellow paint to match the yellow bug.

Tires are: Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season 225/45R17 91H

I put the wheels/tires on last night and gave them a quick test drive on the existing inflation of 30psi. I noticed road noise after 60KM (40MPH) that climbed with the speed and frequency of the tires as I accelerated to 100km (60mph). I brought it back in to home and checked the torque on the lugs.

After doing a bit of research here I determined that my inflation levels were low, so I brought it up to 32psi this morning (ambient temp. was 3C about 36F).

When I drove it again this afternoon the road noise is still there. It sounds like it is coming from the passenger side, I think back but maybe front. Overall these tires seem louder/noisier than the winter rated tires I just swapped out! And boy do our roads suck balls here. Rough is as good as it gets.

So after reading all that, here are my questions for any interested in answering:

1. Am I still under inflated, should I bring it up to 35psi?
2. Should I get the wheels and tires checked for balance? I noticed no vibrations or pulling on the steering (other than the 40KM gusting crosswinds that is).
3. Just scrap these tires? Reviews I've read online seem to indicate that these tires don't last that long before the get very loud and perform poorly.
4. Painting the grey part, good idea? What type of paint, any how-tos or DIY threads maybe?
I have the Take 5s(similar wheel) and running a 225/45 tires. I seem to have a fair amount of road noise. Then again my tires are the cheapest 17's i could find. I was reading that the 50 has less noise... As for painting, i have seen a couple orgers plastidip their wheels. Its fairly durable and non permanent. Hope this helps... :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
1. I would try and bring them up to that pressure. Check the sidewall and see what the max tire pressure should be first

2 & 3. From you description the tires sound like they are at the end of their lifespan. And if the reviews you read are any indicator, I would say new tires would probably be in order. As you know, when you get new tires the balancing will get taken care of.

4. Check my photo thread. I painted my 16" wheels black for my winter setup. It can be done quite easily with proper prep and paint application

Good luck!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
35PSI helped with the frequency noise, the tires are still just in general noisy as hell.

OK, so now lets start throwing out suggestions on new tires?

My criteria are:

- Needs to be an all-season. It can snow as late as May and as early as September here with below freezing temps happening right now! So my "summer" tires need to live by the creed of the Stark's "Winter is coming."
- Quiet is important, the old TDI is noisy enough, I don't need to double the noise from the tires.
- Low rolling resistance would be nice

I'm going to do research myself, but if anyone has tires that they've driven for 20,000 miles or more and are loving the drive, please chime in.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far reading reviews at tirerack I'm seeing these three as the top rated:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Michelin Primacy MXM4 (These were the tires on the car when I bought it, decent tire then)
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You ever go to a shop and ask for one thing, get told that you really want this, and you explain again what you were looking for, and the fellow tries to sell you on something else...

I went to an authorized Bridgestone dealer here in Saskatoon, I went in and said I want Bridgestone Turenza Serenity Plus in 225/45R17.

But they for some reason don't have those or whatever. And I explain what I wanted, a quiet touring all season. Not a sports tire, not a performance tire. I want a quiet comfortable tire to go on my 93hp diesel powered slow poke of a car that hasn't seen the far side of 120KM per hour in years.

What does he give me for quotes, performance tires that will in all likely hood be as loud or louder and have just as little tread life.

The Michelin tires at least have multiple sources I can purchase from so I can get multiple quotes on that and pick the best shop and cost.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the continuing saga is coming to a conclusion today.

Yesterday I drove our Kia because it still had winter tires and we had ice on the roads. I went to a tire shop yesterday for a quote on those Michelins and was told they were discontinued. This fellow listened to what I wanted and suggested Nitto Motivo as an alternative that were quiet and had good driving characteristics.

Today I drove the Beetle and the noise drove me crazy, so I had to buy those tires now. I couldn't take it any longer. It was like driving inside of Neil Peart's drums (Rush, best drummer ever?).

So they are at the shop and getting new rubber, I told the fellow he can recycle the old tires or just find a hole and throw them into it and start them on fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts