NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Could someone take a picture of the engine in their Beetle, label it and post it on here? TDI Club has a labeled picture of a PD TDI, but it's not a Beetle and is somewhat different. I know where some things are but I'd like to be familiar with the locations of everything! :D

Thanks.

Cori

·
Registered
320 Posts
Too much work. I simply open my Bentley's and look at the pretty labeled drawing contained therein. The time savings alone allows me to drink more beer.

I see a crowbar in your future. Wait a sec. The picture is getting clearer now. I see a crowbar prying open that rusty wallet of yours thereby allowing you to buy a Bentleys. :D

·
Bug me again!
2,758 Posts
Methinks someone's confused this is the vortex :dunno: I see a beer gut in his future since getting off his butt for 2 minutes to scan a picture to help someone doesn't even cross his mind.
CoriBug, I'd post that diagram for you if I had a Bentley, but unfortunately I'm also working on a rusty wallet problem :rolleyes:
Saving for a house instead of buying some things I can do without, like beer ;), how silly of me :rolleyes:
But wait, hang on...
what the heck is this place supposed to be for?
If we all bought Bentleys would we be on here?

I know how you feel, Cori. Many a time I've wished for such a diagram myself to become more familiar with the mysterious bits under the hood. What finally helped was actually doing some work under there myself with a good DIY instruction from the 'tex. The most involved repair was when changed the ignition coil, but I'm already planning to do the wires and plugs in Spring because it's fun, saves me heaps of money, satisfies my curiosity/need to learn, and gives me a good laugh.
Seriously, any girls out there who'd like a bit of the giggle at the expense of the male species, try working on your car in the driveway. Here, neighbors tend to come over and ask if you're okay, heaps of guys who pass by look real puzzled, turn around and come to ask what you're doing. Watch their face when you tell them, thanks but you don't need help, and then further as you explain what I'm doing (here using phrases like 'thingamabob' isn't actually the kiss of death if you know what it does). The looks are priceless. I swear some of these guys I couldn't have shocked more if I took my top off (not that I would of course ;))

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
This is very sim. to mine...I don't know if it is the PD or not.

Looks like there are a few things that are different, but it should be a good enough reference depending on what you are looking for specifically.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Humor alert. It was a joke.

Cori doesn't want a photo of a TDI engine. What she wants is a photo of a TDI engine with all of the components LABELED. To further muddy the waters, what model year of TDI?

As to posting a reproduction of material from Bentley's, do what you want. Just remember that it's copyrighted material.

I apologize to Cori if she is took offense to my original post.

·
Registered
874 Posts
ladybugewa, I know what you mean, my brother's friends are amazed at the thought of a girl under the hood. I do get help on the big things (ie timing belt/water pump) but most of the rest is just plain me.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's OK, really!! I think that was the picture I found on the Vortex, pretty sure it's a VE. I did find a pic of PD engine, but it wasn't a Beetle. Yeah, a Bentley would be nice, but as LadyBugEwa said, that darn rusty wallet is hard to open....:D Thanks for everyone's input!!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to take a picture Friday and try to label what I know. A former classmate and I are going to change out the fuel filter - Daisy has over 47,000 miles and is still on the original fuel filter thanks to me not really being attentive and the dealer's stupidness.:D I'm kind of surprised she's still running, plus I've been using B20 for the last year or so, except for the Roswell trip.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Cori,

nice thing about you having a PD motor is that you wont need to use a mytvac to get the air out of your fuel lines after you swap out the filter.

once you gte it all swapped over, all you need to do is cycle the key a few times (like 5) without starting the motor and your in tank fuel pump will fill up the filter and force the air thru the system.

the ones of us with the ALH (VE TDI, pre 2004) need to have access to a Mytvac to use to suck the fuel into the filter and thru the Fuel pump on the motor to guarantee an easy first start.

there is a labeled diagram of the PD motor somewhere on tdiclub. I think the only major differences is in the location of the power steering reservoir on the beetle is slightly different.

good luck!

TDIClub is your friend

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Found It!

after searching on TDI club, I knew i would find it.. and here is the labeled image of the PD motor.

whitedog said:
Here is a really bad graphic of the PD engine. I don't know what some of the thingies are and there are other, important thingies that should be labled. Hopefully someone that actually knows something will wander in and help me out.

1: Coolant overflow bottle.

2: Power steering resivoir

3: Fuel Filter

4: Timing belt cover

5: Windshield washer resivoir (if you can't spell correctly, be consistant)

6: serpentine belt tensioner

7: Alternator

8: Vacuum reservoir

9: Engine Oil check

10: Oil filter

11: Engine oil fill

12: Dunno

13: 505.01 sticker

14: Coolant heater plugs

15: Tandem pump (fuel pump and vacuum pump together)

16: Brake fluid Resivoir

17: anti shudder valve

18: EGR valve

If anyone wants to use my picture to make a good graphic, I have an unlabeled copy I could send you. I could take another one without that foam stuff there as well.

Attachments

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys crack me up.:D So Daisy now has a new fuel filter. My friend and former high school classmate, Josh, is an Iraq war vet. He worked on cranes and bulldozers over there and now he works on trash trucks. He had a little trouble wiggling the filter out but otherwise no problems. The o-rings were pretty much burned on. No water in the water separator so I guess that's a point scored for the biodiesel. I wonder if my mileage will go up. Thanks for your help!!!

Whitedog's picture was very helpful - I used to find a few things on my car so I wouldn't look like a complete idiot in front my friend. :D I think I'll still take a picture of Daisy's engine and label it since everything is closer together than in the pic from TDI Club. (Yes, I'm obsessed with details).

The helpfulness on the org reminds of the Ghostbusters. "Who you gonna call??" "The org!!":p

·
Registered
1 Posts
HAHAHA!!! What crappy lables on that picture. I'm surprised it's not in crayon. LOLOL!!!!
I just got my 2000 jetta and had to replace the wiper switch, wow what a job. Lol next thing on my list is to figure out where the leak in my cooling system is? I looked everywhere its obvious where the coolant runs to but wasn't so obvious why is was leaking. After jacking the car up , I noticed a collapsed hose. I'm not sure what hose it is , in order to replace it , I have to know . can anyone help?
16029478538915617050987788480312.jpg

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
To pinpoint a coolant leak; a cooling pressure tester, is the best way to figure that out. If you need to replace a hose, typically; the original vw hoses, will have the part # imprinted on them. Most hoses can be purchased with aftermarket versions at a much cheaper cost; then, from the VW dealer. I have had good luck with Gates hoses (made in usa; lifetime warranty) and CRP/REIN/Continental hoses (made in Turkey).

Once you get the part # off the hose; you can search on the Gates and CRP websites, to try to cross reference it.

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
I use this Harbor Freight cooling system pressure tester; it had the right adapter, for our VW's and it works well.

PITTSBURGH AUTOMOTIVE
Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts