NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone have a picture of the original wiper blades that came on the New Beetle??

After a long road trip recently I noticed that my Bosch wiper blades seemed to pick up and start to lift at higher speeds.

It may be due to the jacketed design of the Bosch blades or I was wondering if the orignal wiper blades had some form of "spoiler" built in as I have seen this type of wiper blade on other German models.

So if anyone has the original wiper blades on their car still, maybe they can snap a picture up close.

Thanks in advance.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
The earlier new beetles did have a wing thing on the driver's wiper. I don't know when they stopped using them, but I heard they stopped making refills for them.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
On the wiper arm or the blade? I don't recall any wing on my '99's wiper arms.

I ran Bosch wipers and never had any problems with them lifting.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Might have been the speed I was traveling and it may have been windy as well!! But they drivers side was starting to lift. I was not doing any 55 MPH for sure!

I think I have the Bosch Winter style blades??? They are pretty well covered in a jacket. I will see if I have the info and try to take a picture of what I currently have.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
On the wiper arm or the blade? I don't recall any wing on my '99's wiper arms.

I ran Bosch wipers and never had any problems with them lifting.
I have a pair of OEM blades which need refills. One has a pretty beefy wing on it, and they're both curved.
I've yet t find blades that fit them, but then again I haven't looked too hard.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Toad,

Thanks for your reply. I vaguely recall the orignal blades did have a pretty good curve and I thought the drivers side may have had some form of wing/spoiler.

What I have since learned is many of the German cars have wiper refill available through the dealer and some are actually pretty cheap. BMW had length specific refills and universal refills that you could cut to length for different models.

I need to really dig around in the garage as I may have actually kept the original wiper baldes, I hope I did, they may be hard to find after 10 years!!!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I just replaced the original wiper blades from my '99 recently. The driver's side one has a curved spoiler attached to the blade:

wipers1.JPG

wipers2.jpg

The spoiler is held on with 2 small screws. The spoiler won't fit on my new blades so I didn't move it over.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Red,

Thanks for the picture. I can see where the spoiler would have helped my situation.

I need to search around and see if I still have the originals, if not, I may need to source some??

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I stand corrected, yes that style wiper blade was on both of the 2000 Turbos that I have. Never considered that to be a "wing" and they were replaced some years ago.

I learned something new today. :D

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was just poking around on the VW parts catalog and as usual I cannot rely on the parts diagram as they tend to be generic, however, there appears to be a split or change in the wiper blades starting in 2003??? Not sure what the change was??

Also VW dues list wiper blade inserts for the OE blades for $6.84 but this is not clear if this is for a single or a pair of refills??? In any event, if you still have your OE blades, I would highly advise getting refills from the dealer vs ditching the OE blades, they conform to the curved windshield and they would likely have less of a tendency to lift at speed!

I do have to say I was likely going about 75 MPH when I noticed the wipers starting to dance a bit. I really did not watch closely to determine at what speed the wipers were starring to lift, but at 75 MPH is was pretty obvious. I also think it was of an issue when the wipers were slightly higher than the parked position. I was not running in a heavy rain, it was starting to mist and the wipers were being use intermittently.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts