VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I was wondering could I ask for more assistance. I have been trying to fix up a 1.6l beetle I bought and noticed some gaffer tape around a hose near the oil filler cap. When I unwrapped it; it looked like this
Light Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

Light Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

Would I be right in thinking that it shouldn’t look like that and possibly it has been wrapped with gaffer tape because it’s either broken or leaking?

many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Very common problem; many members with the New Beetles with the 1.6L have this issue. This houses hot, oily, crankcase gases and recirculates these, into the throttle body. So, it is just a matter of time; that these will fail and the rubber, gets cooked and falls apart.

ETKA: is always a good place; to find exploded views on parts:

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
The engine code; should be on the timing belt cover sticker or stamped on the head, etc.; from what I am seeing on ETKA, you might have a "AYD or BFS" engine code.

Can you look at your intake hose and see, the VW part # on it? It looks like this intake plastic hose; maybe all included in one piece and needs to be replaced as a assembly?

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Looking at ETKA; #8, you click on it in the exploded view and then, it gives you different part #'s, based upon the engine code and size. You can confirm the part #; by looking at your old part # and then, search online for the best pricing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts