NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My NB GLS is due, or perhaps overdue, to have it's timing belt replaced as well as the water pump. I called German Motor Werks in the Strip and got a price from them (nearly $800). I want to call around to other places and see if I can get a better price. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in Highland Park.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
slvsr
13 Posts
Thornburg Automotive (Robinson) 412-922-3701 (Bill).
He just did mine along with other things I wanted done.
I think Tb, water pump was around $700. He does not take
short cuts. I have had my cars seviced by him the last 2
years.

Good luck...Steve

·
Registered
133 Posts
that seems pretty steep for just a shop. hillcrest vw told me $600 dollars. Its in Lower Burrell,PA. There is a shop in Butler called J-tech. He does everything from civics to skylines. He told me 300. i don't have the number any more, but you should be able to google it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks,

Patrick
Go to Columbus, and have Growler do it.

Columbus, OH. Growler, At your Service. + Feedback thread. - TDIClub Forums

His prices are cheaper. He does it according to manufacture specs, no short cuts. He is a guru at TDI's and knows his 2.0 & 1.8t's.

You can stay and hang-out/watch/help and learn how to fix your own car. Or you can drop it off and go eat a "Thurman burger". Columbus is a great town and short drive.

Your making a mistake for not checking it out.

Menus | The Thurman Cafe

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
Take a look at the calendar link in my signature and let me know if you would like to come out.

Labor and parts are a little more than half of what you were quoted with no other filter or fluid changes.

if you would like more done, I can get your air & cabin filters changed as well. brakes, suspension etc.. just let me know at least a week in advance so I can get parts and we can do business

Aaron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing I thought of when Columbus was mentioned was "Skyline Chili". I lived in Cincinnati for 2 years and got addicted to the stuff. The Thurman Burger looks very good!

I'll look up J-tech first since Butler is an hour's drive and Columbus is 3. If gas was not so expensive I'd gladly drive out there to Columbus. Growler, I can not access your calendar, I'll look at it when I get home.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take a look at the calendar link in my signature and let me know if you would like to come out.

Labor and parts are a little more than half of what you were quoted with no other filter or fluid changes.

if you would like more done, I can get your air & cabin filters changed as well. brakes, suspension etc.. just let me know at least a week in advance so I can get parts and we can do business

Aaron
I looked at your calendar, Growler, and the earliest I could make it out there is June.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wound up taking the car to J Techin Butler, Pa back in March. A little less than $300 for the water pump and the timing belt. It was a relief to get those done and out of the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts