NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 99 NB, and when we got it the head unit had already been replaced. I'd like to put in a new head unit, and replace all speakers I can while adding 1 sub. Aim is around the $400 mark.

Does is matter what unit used to be in here (Monsoon?) ?

According to Crutchfield I have 6 speakers, but only 4 seem changeable. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here you go!

This will tell you where to go to find the information for all the options your specific vehicle was built with.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/attachments/new-member-forum/86538d1314217637-newbie-welcome-kit-identification-labels-plates.pdf

Go here to ecipher the option codes
VW Group Option Codes Decoder

The Monsoon system would also have the external amp mounted in the trunk on the left hand side behind the rear lock carrier trim panel, if it hasn't been removed. There should still be evidence. As the system had dash mounted tweeter speakers, there should also be built in speaker grills (holes) in the top dash panels.

MORAV

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there are grill holes not in the dash, but the side beams (?). I saw no evidence of an amp at all, but there is a 6 disc cd changer. The codes returned basic information, but no mention of the word Monsoon:

Code:
8YA = Radio for USA
B0D = Component parts set, complying with vehicle type for USA (without California), various parts
4K0 = Radio remote controlled central locking operated from inside

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Didn't need a Monsoon to have the 6cd Changer (although since you have an aftermarket HU you probably have an aftermarket 6cd Changer). Those were available as a Dealer add on, and only as a Dealer add, with all head units. And the car came wired for it.

I'm sorry, side beams? I think you're referring to what are called the "A" pillars.

Radio System Overview .pdf attached.

M.

(edit)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
But the grill holes though? A bit confused on those...
Tweeters for both systems, in the "A" pillars, for the base system. See the .pdf I have attached to my post above, That should clarify it for you.

GM started doing the same thing about the same time, with their tweeters.

M.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I've got a 99 NB, and when we got it the head unit had already been replaced. I'd like to put in a new head unit, and replace all speakers I can while adding 1 sub. Aim is around the $400 mark.

Does is matter what unit used to be in here (Monsoon?) ?

According to Crutchfield I have 6 speakers, but only 4 seem changeable. Is that correct?
Sorry, I missed a part of your post. Yes, if they are (and it doesn't sound like it) Monsoon speakers they are powered by the external amp, they will not typically interchange with more normal systems. An ohm thing of the speaker. nd yas all 6 speakers you have ARE accesible AND changeable, but unlikely that you will find an aftermarket system that facilitates the use of individual tweeter speakers, however, it may depend on what you want to spend. Seems ppl around here have no problem spending $2-$3000 on sound systems in $2500 cars, that could better have the money spent on the mechanicals, or maybe, like having the a/c fixed. Kinda like putting a $5000 wheel and tire package on a beater, that's got body damage and only primer for paint. Don't get it personally. :rolleyes:

Funny... about human nature and priorities.

M.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There was once upon a time that I would've dropped that kinda money into a stereo, but 20 years and 2 kids later, nah.

From Crutchfield's site:
Dash: Tweeter - no aftermarket tweeter matches your factory tweeter exactly. Call us for details about custom-mounting tweeters in your vehicle’s available space.

Is that true? What it boils down to at this point, I think I'm gonna get a decent budget head unit, probably Kenwood, get a sub box & amp, and have the normal speakers powered by the head unit.

I guess the biggest decision now is on the front speakers, should I go with normal speakers or component ones and replace those tweeters (if possible despite what crutchfield says)

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
You don't need to reinstall the A pillar tweeters. You can have the Tweeter/Midrange [combined] speakers in the doors and in the rear. They fit no problem :)

Why not have a 6 channel amp. My setup cost around what your wanting to spend including fitting and monster cable. It doesn't have to be expensive components to sound good :)

Aren't there any other I.C.E. installers around you than the one you keep going back to and getting burned ?

:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You don't need to reinstall the A pillar tweeters. You can have the Tweeter/Midrange [combined] speakers in the doors and in the rear. They fit no problem :)

Why not have a 6 channel amp. My setup cost around what your wanting to spend including fitting and monster cable. It doesn't have to be expensive components to sound good :)

Aren't there any other I.C.E. installers around you than the one you keep going back to and getting burned ?

Or simply buy new higher end tweeters for the A pillars, they don't have to come from Crutchfield.

And Blugg, the OPer isn't getting burned, he's just shopping around. Crutchfield is a Catalog/Online Retailer, probably the largest in the world. Great place, every thing well researched for fitment, etc, but like all, only going to push what they sell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

PLEASE give me some recommendations on your purchases then. From what I had seen, I would be spending around 99 for a head unit, 199 for an amp and 12" sub box, and about 200 total for 4 speakers.

The ONLY requirement I have is the head unit has good iPhone integration.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
You might drop Blugg a p/m. He usually comes around mid afternnoon, his morning, and in the morning, his afternoons. At least I think that's about the time difference. He reads most of the posts as I do, but it's easy to miss one if you're not specifically following it.

M.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
Don't think i'm the best person on here to give advice. I normally ask for it myself :)

I shopped around and did my research first, before buying and having the stuff fitted. I found a top of the range in car build shop and got advice from them. Choosing from a catalogue, you can get mislead by their descriptions. I was given the run down from the pro in the shop on high end gear [$14,000 approx] for a fit they were doing at the time, then bit my lip and asked for a recommendation on a starting point.

The guy new what i mean't. Recommended me 3 types of amp. All budget but worth their money and longevity. 4 types of speakers. I ended up putting 2 JL Audio in the front, tweeter and midrange combination. Just cut the wires to the tweeters in the pillars and forgot about them. Got the JL's off ebay 2nd hand, got 4 for the price of 2. Think i paid $100 well £50.

But i got 2 x 12" subs in a box alos from ebay. Fitted no problems in the boot. But i wanted a big punch :lol: One would be fine, some you can get with the built in amp. I went for 2 seperate amps. 1,200 and 1,400 watts. Both amps $200 £100 from ebay. The head unit was a kenwood for $150 with a usb connection, bought that from a shop, as they offered free fitting if i got the head unit from them. They fitted everything for the price of the cables.

Shop around. Go into stores and ask. Catalogues ? ok to browse, but you soon get carried away. Plus they don't tell you what else you need. I had a powercap fitted too. All done and dusted for $500 ish :)

But again i'll say, there are other people on here more qualified to give advice :) I'll try and find my old links for you :)

Links ;)

http://newbeetle.org/forums/members/sean_fabanich.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/members/wilky.html

http://newbeetle.org/forums/members/jp.html

They know their Audio :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm most interested in the amp you purchased, as when I was doing this long ago and spending lots of more money than I should have, I used 3 separate amps, 1 for fronts, 1 for rear, and 1 for subs.

If I can get a quality amp that could power ALL of the sepakers, then sure, I'd definitely go that route instead of having the head unit do so.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That would definitely do the job, but it's way way outta my budget. It's actually almost my entire budget, lol!

·
Banned
1,583 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Wiring, c'mon be honest...

Which wire? :roflmao:

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
If you need a how to on getting that sub in with an on off switch, let me know and I'll write it up and email it to you or something.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts