NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was looking at the full line that plasti-dip has to offer and saw they have many colors to choose from and thought what a great idea. Has anyone used it on the dash? or anything else? With it being easily removable I think it will be great to use and if I dont like it, it can come off. Ideas, thoughts?

:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have used it sparingly on the interior. I bought a dash kit from rvinyl.com. There were some areas that the kit didn't cover, so I decided to use a little on those. It worked pretty well. I also used it on the area of the rear bumper corners where the old clear vinyl protectant had partially worn away and looked bad. It worked out great there. It has held up for about 6 months of washings. I also sprayed some on the rear emblem. It was chrome and black. Now it is white where the black was. I like the way it looks. As you commented, you can just peel it right off if you don't like it. I am getting geared up to use one of the wheel kits. I have been repairing the "road rash" and priming them. I plan to use the gun metal color and top coat it with the silver metallic. I find it helpful to view the videos on youtube. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm planning to Plastidip my whole car come spring. I've seen a lot of neg. reviews, but if you delve deeper, you can see these people have never used it themselves, or didn't install properly (ie: complain it peels off, but they didn't let it cure for the full 48 hours, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
I'm planning to Plastidip my whole car come spring. I've seen a lot of neg. reviews, but if you delve deeper, you can see these people have never used it themselves, or didn't install properly (ie: complain it peels off, but they didn't let it cure for the full 48 hours, etc.)
I was skeptical myself... when it comes to the interior, I guess I am still. I kinda want a more permanent bond when it comes to the interior pieces; still it looks great. As for the exterior, It's an awesome concept.

The PD is almost a fool proof application. It lays down very well and has great fill properties. This is WAY cheaper than vinyl wrap AND if you don't like it, you can peel it off.

I took the time and perused the DipYourCar.com site last night, as well as some YouTube vids... amazing stuff; and you're not totally locked into just the matte finishes.

Personally, I don't know if I'd dip my entire car, but for striping, angry eyes, hoods/hatches/roofs, and trim, this is some good stuff.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I tried on a couple pieces to see how it would do and was happy with it until a friend saw it and what he did next. we were talking about it and he took the vase holder piece and used his fingernail on it sideways kinda. it scored right up and would not just clean off it needed touched up. So now i'm just waiting a bit and will do spray on them with some type of real paint. it is good but IMHO do not expect to be anywhere near as durable as a real paint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't think I want to paint my dash, I thought PD since it's a matte finish and its removeable if I don't like it.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
I just don't think I want to paint my dash, I thought PD since it's a matte finish and its removeable if I don't like it.
I've been thinking about dipping the left and right dash panels. Not sure if I'd do the center part myself. I'm sure it would look sweet though.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Almost done dipping Cup's roof. Used 4 cans of PD. Got to so a little touching up here and there, but I'm loving the look.

Attachments

·
Everett Street in May
3,207 Posts
Almost done dipping Cup's roof. Used 4 cans of PD. Got to so a little touching up here and there, but I'm loving the look.
Looking good mang!! Your keeping Cup looking as fresh as ever.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did my side skirts and it looks very nice but, it's on a spot were passengers tend to put their foot right on and they take a portion of the rubber out. This is the second time I painted it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I tried on a couple pieces to see how it would do and was happy with it until a friend saw it and what he did next. we were talking about it and he took the vase holder piece and used his fingernail on it sideways kinda. it scored right up and would not just clean off it needed touched up. So now i'm just waiting a bit and will do spray on them with some type of real paint. it is good but IMHO do not expect to be anywhere near as durable as a real paint.
Well your friend is a bit of a dick, lol. That wasn't very nice! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am seeing a problem with the Hood. Rocks from cars are chipping away at my plastidip! But ill put a couple more cans on her when I get a chance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I was wondering if that was a potential issue! Do you think a bra would protect it, or is it the whole hood?

·
Turbo
317 Posts
Its not the whole Hood, just where the emblem is around there. A bra would work great I think but I didn't like the way it looked

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well your friend is a bit of a dick, lol. That wasn't very nice! ;)
well i have to say yes and no. I thought the same at first then i thought to myself this was just a test piece and i wanted to see how it would hold up, and it doesn't hold up the way i would like it to. so i am actually glad he did it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts