NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have the stock wheels with the centercaps (I think for the 02-07s?) that are shaped like gears once you pop them out. They look terrible! The silver paint has mostly worn away, and one of the emblems has given up the ghost.

My question is this! Is there anything I can do to revive them? Any special paint that will adhere well to the plastic? I'm thinking cheap, here. I don't have a lot of cash right now. Once I do, I will either replace the centercaps (30-40 dollars each for the one set I've found) or buy new wheels completely. I haven't decided. :D

But until then, I don't want my Beetle to be embarrassed about its shoes.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
Ah yes, the Key West.

I had those wheels, and i'm pretty wowwed that the center caps went downhill that fast, mine always looked awesome.

Well, you can always just sand them down and paint them any color you want. Most spray paints bond to plastic pretty well, as long as it's clean and you do a few thin coats. Depending on the color of the car, a nice matte or gloss black would look good.

I also know someone that has a golf with these wheels, that just has regular center caps on them. They sorta look like 16" Ariettas with just the little center cap on them.
ECS - 58mm center cap (i'm not 100% positive the opening is 58mm, but it probably is, check the size of the hole before ordering)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, the Key West.

I had those wheels, and i'm pretty wowwed that the center caps went downhill that fast, mine always looked awesome.

Well, you can always just sand them down and paint them any color you want. Most spray paints bond to plastic pretty well, as long as it's clean and you do a few thin coats. Depending on the color of the car, a nice matte or gloss black would look good.

I also know someone that has a golf with these wheels, that just has regular center caps on them. They sorta look like 16" Ariettas with just the little center cap on them.
ECS - 58mm center cap (i'm not 100% positive the opening is 58mm, but it probably is, check the size of the hole before ordering)
I tried the gloss black idea with an outdoor spray paint. I scoured those centercaps until my arms were sore, did about 6 thin coats on the centercaps. Where it didn't bubble, the paint peeled off in huge pieces! :confused: But then I played with it 'cause it was stretchy and smelled like spray paint. (Mmmm. I love pumping gas, too.)

I hope I can use those little ones! Thanks! I like that idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts