VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Loose or missing under car panel???

This part is just the fuel tanks heat shield used to reflect excess heat from the rear muffler and the center resonator. The part is only held on by twist type washer ended screws that can become loose and fall out all to easy. I would say that this should be replaced as VW designed this part to be fit in that area for a reason. No extra parts on a car these days. The temperature of the gas used to inject should be as cool as possible for optimum running of your engine. Your dealer may have to order this part, but it certainly should not be too expensive and the labor to replace would be minimal.
Good Luck, JK

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Bug Bug said:
Its kind of like a skid plate. Mine was falling off when I bought my Bug. When I took it to somewhere else other than the dealership to have my oil changed they told me that they would not change it due to the cover. So we took it off. My fiance is a mechanic and its better to not have it on because if the car started to leak fluid from the engine how would we know it.
The plastic panel that's being refered to here is the heat shield that's mounted behind the fuel tank and in front of the exhaust components in the rear. It helps keep your fuel cooler.
JK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.