NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew these cars were ++plastic, but this is getting ridiculous. :confused:

1. Pull forward on the E Brake handle and the whole handle slides off of the steel frame.
2. While wiping down the dash, the bezel around the instruments comes off in my hands.
3. The covers on either side of the vertical portion of the Center armrest base are constantly pulling
loose from the base and found lying on the rear floor board.

I'm positive that these pieces are hideously expensive to replace, and the locking tabs SEEM to be in good shape on the bezel and side covers, so is there a trick besides superglue or tie straps to keep them in place?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
A warm welcome to the greatest Beetle ORG on the web. We love photos, so, I hope you'll share a batch of yours!

Sorry to read about the issues. I used some Gorilla Glue and a little leather to wrap the break handle on my 02.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The interior pieces on our little round cars are cheap plastic that falls apart. Very disappointing; but true. I've had some great luck at the junkyard or in the parts section here on the org when people are doing a part out. I've seen many post different links for online sites that sell brand new aftermarket replacements; but haven't used one and don't remember the names. I'm sure they will chime in here soon to fill in the blanks though. Welcome and hope all works out for you. Just know that you are not alone here in the interior falling apart department.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I can say that the surround for the armrest was an issue I had and it should only be one side falling off. The front and back and one side is all one piece that wraps around, then the other side snaps on (my tabs had all broken off the surround so the side wouldn't stay on). That said; you can glue the one side back to the front and back and rest assured that it was supposed to be one piece in the first place. Then you'll only be dealing with one side falling off until you find your replacement (unless you want to just glue that back on too). That was the one piece I had to wait a while to find secondhand. It wasn't expensive when I did though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have some of the same problems. The sides of my console fall off, on the shifter knob the black piece that surrounds the push in knob kept falling off and the armrest u things are broke.

On the shifter I Krazy Glued it back in place as 2 of the 4 clips were broke. I am going to do the same to the console end pieces today.

Also almost all the plastic has a coating on it and you can scratch it off with your finger nails...is this a normal thing or is it silver colored dirt..lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wanted to post a new thread about plastics falling apart but decided to search for it first. I see I have no other choice but to start using a lot of glue.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Depends on what plastic parts are breaking; which parts are you having problems with? Some parts can be repaired; with repair kits people have made, others have to be replaced. (e.g. fixmyvw.com center console: repair kit for hinge/armrest lid)

·
Registered
105 Posts
All of them. Each plastic part move apart when you push it a little or pull it. The big plastic on the center top of dash, door plastic, center console. hatch covers, instruments, plastics in the hand break area, Engine bay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts