NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my NB Convert/Turbo for about two weeks now and have been fixing all the little hidden faults. Every time I do something, a bit of plastic crumbles. I'm hoping that every time a plastic bit breaks on a NB, that an angel gets its wings!

Rather than posting in the what have you done part, I've decided that convertibles is where it all belongs. I've learned some expensive lessons along the way. The biggest one is the driver's door panel--I've bought two sets, and spend over $1400. Yeah, OMG! The first thing I did was ask the dealer--the correct door panel, new, would have been north of $1000, including tax. Correct colors, brand new plastic. I didn't do that, but in hindsight I should have. Instead, I found some panels on Ebay for $500 plus tax a pair. Seller said they were for a Convertible, they weren't. I tried to adapt them, convertible switches are different and don't fit the holes. So I ruined them. I found another pair, correct color interior plastic, but wrong body color. And they are for a convertible. $700 plus tax. See? In hindsight I should have paid the dealer. Anyhow, the driver's side panel is at Maico for paint $150. That part will be all over by Thursday.

The door for the glove box was broken, latch was missing, and it wouldn't stay shut. It's an easy replacement, if you can find the correct color--beige
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, my computer does strange stuff.

the whole glove box gets replace, and I found the right color. $150 plus tax. Installed and done. The key lock doesn't work, wrong key set.

Replace the driver's side seatbelt recepticle, easy and only 90 bux. Air bag light is now out. :)

When I was pulling the code for the airbag, it brought up a code for the MAP sensor, easy and free, I just cleaned it with CRC map sensor juice, put it back in and cleared the code. Best part is that the boost is back and the little car goes pretty good.

Headlites: Right lower beam was out, left high beam was out. Managed to break the right side release and left side release was already broken. Problems with the lights were bad wiring connections within the headlights--fixed them. Free, except that I'm replacing the headlight latches--$60 plus tax.

Still to do: Clean and moisturize the leather. Replace the right rear window linkage. Get the replacement radio to actually fit in the dash and get the microphone installed. Get the Dieselgeek reinforcement installed on the driver's door handle. And, I bought a top boot--which looks beautiful and works great. Oh, and the windshield washer bottle won't hold fluid. Might be a hose is pulled off.

It's all rather embarrassing, the car was a steal at $3000, only 63000 miles, paint and top look like new. But a lot of hidden damage due to the really bad ABS VW uses, and piss poor engineering--specifically the door handles. The car is nice enough that 'make do' won't do. And a gentle hand around the plastics is called for. Feel so good with the top down.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top