VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 2006 vw beetle with a manual top and i cannot get it to go back down. i am not very familiar with the beetle or any convertible for that matter so i'd appreciate any and all help with this issue. it's very close but about 2 inches from latching. i can get the top to go down but it needs to go those 2 inches further forward to latch. has anyone had an issue like this? help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
15,577 Posts
You may have a sensor failure in the convertible top system; you need a factory level vw scan tool like vcds by ross tech to diagnose the problem. You might try the sensor bypass technique; shown in this video:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you billymade!
now will this work for a manual top? its not push button open like in the video

·
Registered
15,577 Posts
The above information is for the automatic convertible tops; you may have a mechanical issue or possibly the convertible top Mitchell has shrunk and is making it hard to close? Have you ever been able to close the top before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i cant find anything about a Mitchell? what might have shrunk? some backstory is i work at a car dealership and a 2006 beetle came in as a trade in. i was doing a safety inspection and opened the top but now it wont go back down all the way.

sure appreciate your help!

·
Registered
15,577 Posts
Sorry, i meant to say "material"; rather then "mitchell". The convertible top material can shrink or there might be a mechanical problem; causing the top, to have problems closing properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 with manual top too.... get someone to help you....make sure the center handle is in the right position... then as you grab one side first, have the passenger grab the other side and pull down, slowly.... (look for anthing sticking in the mechanism first).... good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts