NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 NEW BEETLE TDI Standard 5 speed 135,000 miles

Hi Everyone,

I have found forums to be about the most valuable tool any mechanic can have and I thank everyone that replies.

OK we'll get to what it's NOT first.

The switch on the door is fine and working. It's making continuity between the poles and if conneted to the fuel latch plug it works the fuel latch just fine.

The electronic wirless key fob button will release the hatch.

The hatch motor is doing what it should.

NOW WHATS NOT WORKING

When I use the door switch nothing happens as I said the switch is fine though.

I checked out how it works and when you activate the switch it is actually connecting a ground not a positive circuit.

For some reason the circuit isn't getting to where it needs to go to work the latch motor.

I'm not sure if there is a relay somewhere between the door switch and the latch motor or if the switch circuit goes right to the motor.

It could be a broken or loose wire someplace other than the switch or as I said a relay somewhere in between.

Anybody that knows more about this PLEASE HELP ME

A problem like this can be a real pain going into it blind.

The RED clip in the picture is on the wire that should be sending ground someplace to work the latch.

Thanks, LEE

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Seems like my trunk switch in the door is giving out on my '99. It worked fine when I first had the car but in the last month or so, when I use the switch, the trunk won't open enough...it still stays latched but if I hit the switch again, its fine. I guess trunk switch problems are common?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The door switches are flakey at best but I have found they can easily be disassembled to clean the contacts then they work for a good while again.

This time it's not my switch though.

I have read the motors on the latch are problem prone as well.

The whole electrical system is pretty weak in my experience. Everything I have ran across on mine is usually pretty well documented on this site or TDIclub.

They have quite a few common problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts