NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having a few problems with the door locking system on my 2000 GLS. After reading a bunch of threads on the subject, I came to the conclusion that the problem is most likely the door lock module.

Earlier today, I started calling a few dealerships to get quotes. One person, that I spoke with, asked if I knew for sure that it was the lock module and not a problem with the comfort control (whatchamacallit) or the wireing harness between the two. He asked "Who diagnosed the problem for you?". I told him that I did a lot of research on the internet, and compared the trouble I was having with what I've read.

He recommended that I let them diagnose the exact problem (for 120 bucks) before starting the work. This would make sense, if I had money to blow. Here is a rundown of the problems I'm having.

Picked the car up about a month ago in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and drove it back to New York.

1) The interior lights would only come on intermittently at first (when you opened the door). Now, they don't come on at all.

2) The fuel pump never primes it's self when you open the door (or at least I never heard it). It sure hasn't done it in the past two weeks (since I've known to listen for it). The starter has to crank a few time, before the engine starts.

3) Three days after having the car, the alarm started to go off once I turned the key to start the car. For the next few hours, it would go off every time I would open the doors, hood, or rear hatch. After a good wack of the door, it stopped happening. I haven't set the alarm since. I, now, have to lock the car from the passenger side.

4) Sometimes the doors will not lock automatically when the car reaches 10mph.

5) There have been a few times where the car thought the door was open, while I was driving at highway speeds. The lights would come on and the "ding ding ding" would sound. I had to open the door and close it, (while driving) to get it to stop.

6) Most of the time when I unlock the drivers door, (with the key) the side marker lights blink. Periodically, they do not blink.

7) There are times when I go to unlock both doors (using the switch), and the passenger door unlocks then locks right away. I have to press the switch a few times to get it to unlock.

8) Starting yesterday, when I go to lock the car up by pressing the switch on the passenger side, the driver's door will not lock (even though the driver's door is closed). I have to press the switch a few times to get both doors to lock.

So, with all that said, what do you guys think? Would it be safe to assume that the problem is the door lock module? What about this "comfort control" thing? What, exactly is that??? Also, the guy at this one dealership said that the problem could even be just one bad or loose wire in the harness that runs from the door into the car. This is why (he said) it would be in my best interest to have them diagnose the problem first. I don't know much about VWs, but the problems I'm experiencing doesn't sound like one loose wire to me.

PLEASE HELP!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Hi SH, I think I remember you from when you joined, you were being given the car, by a relative as I remember, that moved East and left the car out West. A Sister, or Brother-in-law, I think. If you wanted it and wanted to go get it.

I have the comfort system and door control modules wiring diagrams up on my Bentley Repair Manual right now. To tell you the truth I have never totally understond exactly what controls what or how. I'm going to have a look at the diagrams and see what I can see. Give me maybe a half hour or so, and I'll post up my thoughts. I need to learn more about this anyway.

Do you feel you have the ability to do some of this work yourself? Most things are not really that tough and there are a lot of good people on here who can walk you through many things, who have done them themselves. $120 will buy your probable bad part, and it might be, at worst a two hour job, if in fact it is the door control module.

Stay tuned...
or check back in the morning!

MORAV

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks! Yeah, I'm the guy that was given the NB by my sister and her husband. I flew out to go pick the car up, and drove it back to NY. Aside from a few minor hitches, I had an absolute blast. I spent 9 days on the road, and got to visit a bunch of places that I always wanted to see. The Beetle held up like a champ (aside from the wacky door lock issues).

Thanks for the help. I'll check back in the morning.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I remebered your User ID, and I remembered the details, but not in context with one another. I'm blessed, or cursed, with this memory thing. Congratulations on your acquisition. If you haven't seen it, here's a little something I put together for the Newbies.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

Btw, if you need an Owner's Manual, I have several. I have a thread here
http://newbeetle.org/forums/parts-accessories/48896-fs-owners-manuals-40-shipped.html

So you can better understand what all is involved in the Comfort/Convenience System, below is kind of an overview of the system and the components. I have to sift thru 13 digital pages of wiring diagrams for this sytem alone to determine positively which control component(s) is/are failing, although just from reading on the Org, I'm going to guess it is the Driver's Door Control Module, although it is not unusual for it to be both the driver's and the passenger's as this has been an ongoing problem and didn't just occur.

The most problematic of these parts are the door control modules, that relate back to poor solder joints and abuse by Owner's of the doors themselves, i.e. slamming.
Some problems require replacement of the complete module, some are a cheap and realtively easy (?) $3 fix. You can read more here -

Door Control Module Explained (Excellent Post)
VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

$3 Fix!
Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!! - TDIClub Forums

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the same problem with the passenger door latch right now. If you look at M's 3rd to last pic you see the plastic latch itself.My problem is that when you open the door, The door does'nt pull the latch back alll the way and activate the micro switch. If you take a pencil or screwdriver and push the latch back a liitle farther it will work for maybe one or two cycles. I see that there is some ware on my latch. there is no adjustment possible. I guess VW figured that it would never wear. I don't think my problem is the switch but the the plastic latch. So, Right now I will live with it, I don't use that door anyway. When I feel that I want to part with 170 bucks and an hour or two of my time I will replace the whole latch machanism.IT's the only thing that is not working on my car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts