NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use your help -- nothing seems to imply that this is for short shift rods only, but I'm having trouble installing it. Anyone installed this? It's a stock VW part, and every ad says it's a replacement for the stock knob. So what am I doing wrong?

I just recently purchased this knob:

http://drivergear.vw.com/store/product.asp?product_id=2178

and a new shift boot (though neither from DriverGear, they just have a convenient site). This is for my 2000 NB TDI.

Included with the knob is a plastic clip that inserts into the knob and (presumably) slides around the shift rod, some screws that lock the clip into the knob, and a plastic tie-tie that locks the clip down onto the rod.

I've been following the forums and how to install shift knobs, but something doesn't seem right with this. The knob seems shorter than the stock leather knob, so when I try to insert the knob down on the shifter, it doesn't lock to the base. The depth of the knob seems too short compared to the original. It seems it needs two more inches or so to lock down at the base where the old knob did.

So, my question is: did I purchase a knob designed for a short shifter, or am I just installing it incorrectly? :screwy:

Attached is a picture of the new knob versus the old -- that plastic clip piece doesn't come out of the original knob, right?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I had that knob. It fits.

I don't remember for sure, but I don't think you need that white plastic part that fits up inside.

You just put the knob on the rod, then those three little screws screw into the holes at the base of the knob. Then just tighten it up. The screws just bite into the rod, so it keeps the knob from moving.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts