NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a major issue.
I have a 2002 vw beetle. 1.8 turbo.

My radiator fan cut my radiator hose and now I have a leak.
The hose right above the radiator fan ( large fan) is the upper radiator hose right ?
Also of if u buy a new hose, how do I install it?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Uh-Oh, hopefully someone can jump on this.
Mine is a 2.0 and this exact same thing happened to me if it makes you feel any better. It ended up being the lower radiator hose that was cut on mine. There will be two hoses coming of your radiator. One from up high, and one from the bottom of it. The one coming of the bottom is your lower. Hope this helps!
Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im praying its the upper that's the one I just bought from oreily
its the hose connected to the top corner of the radiator on the driver's side. (Hope that made sense. )
But I don't know how to change it. :-(

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
One piece of advice - if you do end up changing it yourself or and up helping someone change it wait until the car has completely cooled! I had a radiator explode on me back in 2011. I had second degree burns on 20% of my body. Not fun!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks i will make sure that it is completely cooled. but I juxx need someome to explain to me how am I supposed to change it. The hose I have is just the hose and no connections or anything on the ends.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
There will be clamps on either end of the hose holding the ends on. Usually there will be spring type clamps. You must compress the spring,and then twist the hoes n pull it off. By the way, that is Google Voice recognizer that spelled it that way! So,the whole procedure of changing out a radiator hose is really easier to do than it is to explain. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
Here is a hose clamp plier; that are probably the cheapest set you can find, they are on sale right now. They are good quality; made in France, there are better ones out there but for the price, they are a good deal. If you are going to be working on your car; they are pretty much required, imho.

Craftsman Cable Operated Hose Clamp Pliers

Item # 00947390000P Model # 28650-998

Sears.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I am going to take all this advice and try tommoro when I get off work. Wish I could work on it now but since it's dark and late and I have to wake up at the crack of dawn
Ill wait till tommoro.
Thanks to everyone for their help, I really appreciate it. Thanks a bunchez!! :)

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
hoes

Wait until the car has cooled down a little. Then
You need to release the coolant pressure by loosening up the reservoir (blue) cap a little at a time if the car is still hot or warm, then drain some coolant from the bottom of the radiator by opening the drain valve located on the driver side bottom of the radiator, half twist and the coolant starts pouring. Then you can remove the coolant hose. I usually use channel lock pliers and don't be afraid to twist the hack out of the old hose. Sometimes it helps to stick something inside the hose edge and pry it off to get it loose, just don't damage the plastic flange where it's connected. I use a plastic pry tool. Google the new beetle radiator drain valve and select images so you know what you're looking for. good luck. Since it's the upper hose you probable just need to drain half the radiator coolant. Put it all back together when finished and be ready to add coolant In the reservoir several times until all air pocket purge out of the system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Too esse10 thanks a lot. Also if its not too much could you give me a brief description of the upper and lower hose. I'm trying to make sure I purchased the correct hose.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
hose

Too esse10 thanks a lot. Also if its not too much could you give me a brief description of the upper and lower hose. I'm trying to make sure I purchased the correct hose.
I think perhaps you should take a digital picture of your leaking hose and post it here so we can help you out better. Here are two pictures of the upper and lower hoses common to new beetles. hope this helps ya out. top pix is upper hose

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts