NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to know if anyone knew of anyway i can find out if my timing belt was changed before i bought my car, i bought my car last may with 70,629 miles on it and i just wanted to know if anyone knows anything about trying to find out if it was done or not.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I honestly don't know how to tell, the best solution I can offer is take it to a reputable german mechanic (I wouldn't recommend a dealership) and ask them to check the wear on the timing belt and tell you if it looks new or worn. If it is worn, it's going to be in the $600+ range for professional replacement. VW says 105,000 miles is the life-span of the belt, one user of the old forums for like 218,000+ out of his 1998's belt... Fowvay suggests 70,000 mile belt changes, I'm changing mine at or around 80,000 (another 8,000 to go!)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I'd say change if it you don't tell. Timing belts do NOT show wear until it is too late...such is the nature of the beast. I had a 1998 Integra that snapped a belt at 59k (Acura reccomends 105k intervals too), and the mechanics at the dealer all said the belt looked new otherwise with no indication of a problem. It probably hasn't been done, so I'd go to ECStuning.com and order their "ultimate" timing belt kit and have at it. :O)

Not trying to be an ass, but that's the cold truth. Timing belts won't show wear until it's too late...and Tom will tell you that too. :O)

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
I thought timing belts were supposed to be done at the 60,000 mile service?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
damn...I'm just worried about my water pump...might as well do it all at the same time I guess

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Smileybug said:
damn...I'm just worried about my water pump...might as well do it all at the same time I guess
Allow me to put in another plug for ECSTuning.. their ultimate kit has a metal impaller water pump. The factory one.. is plastic. Which do you think holds up better? ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts