NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02' VW beetle 1.8L turbo.

I recently changed the radiator, the auxilliary electric water pump and tried to change both the cooling fans but ran into a problem.

Both off my cooling fans were not working so I was changing them as well. However, only the smaller fan on the passenger side connection fit. The larger fan had a different connection so I end up having to plug up the old fan that didn't work. I am planning on going to the dealership today to get it fixed. Is it ok to drive it to the dealership with only one working fan. I'm scared to death it'll overheat on me.

Thankz a bunchez

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i live in dallas so i feel your "heat". a long as you are on say I45 with no stop and go traffic you should be fine. the constant flow of air through your radiator will keep your car cool. if you see the red temp light, just pull over and wait a few.

-jd

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
There is something up with 3 and 4 pin fan connectors as I recall, or at least that is what I recall.

Not sure what is happening, but there is some difference with the fans and fan controllers. Not sure but there may have been some parts superseded?

If your cooling system is working properly, you can likely drive without the fans as long as you can keep moving most of the time and do not get stuck in stop and go traffic.

The fans on my 2003 1.8t only run usually with the AC on and occasionally in traffic or when the car is shut off.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
You said both fans weren't working...did you test them and make sure it was actually the fans and not something else? Rarely do they both fail.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
fuse maybe?

-jd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cooling Fans

To everyone:
My smaller fan works. but the old one don't, and my new fan has a different connecter. Which is weird because they came together. Is there anyway to switch the connecters or something. Like take the old connecter off the old fan and put it on the new one.
Thankz a buchez for all your help. :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
More details would be helpful.

Is the connector difference a 3 vs 4 terminal connector?

I have heard a LOT of issues with fan controllers and replacement fans that have a different connector, however, I do not think I have ever heard the straight and final resolution.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
incorrect part

I think folks just need to buy the correct part. The 1.8T big fan has 2 speeds and 3 wires going to it, high , low and the ground. There is a thread around here of someone who jumpered the wires so the large fan would run on high all the time. That is okay but the engine temperature would be outside the operating window, especially during the winter months. Glad I don't have electric fan issues yet on my 10 year old car but once it sneaks it's ugly head I'll shop it off..LOL :p I got no problems with electrical, that's the easy stuff for me.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I believe the problem is more than buying the right part. There appears to be some application problem with getting the proper parts?

I am not sure if the application issue is with non dealer parts or even dealer parts?

It may be the difference between 2 and 3 speed fans?

I seem to recall there is some issue with the connection for one fan.

If the OP can give us more detail, we may be able to offer more help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
more info.

Sorry for the lack info, sort of new to this.

Here's some info to clear things up.

Car:02' vw beetle 1.8L turbo.
The fans I purchased were brand new fans from ebay, I matched up the part number from the fans that were at autozone for my beetle. So they are the same fans from autozone just less expensive on ebay.
Fans inculded: left fan, right fan, and fan mount.( I think that's the name of it)

I installed the smaller fan (passenger side) and connects and works fine.
Both fans I purchased were 3 connecter fans.
The larger fan connection from the car (driver side) has a different connection. If I can recall the connection for the larger fan was a 4 pin connection instead of 3 like the smaller one.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
What I was getting at initially, was did you really need to replace the fans? Often its another issue causing them not to run, not the fans themselves. If there is another issue, you may not need to replace the fans at all.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
VW is VERY good about putting part numbers on all parts that are on the car. If you look carefully you likely can find the part number somewhere, either a label or cast into the plastic or motor somewhere.

My 10 year old front axle shafts still had part number labels on them.

My guess is Autozone part catalog is not correct.

I just looked at the wiring diagram for the 2002 and there is one fan that has a 4 pin connector, so I would say you have the wrong fan?

My guess is there is a later configuration or the non turbo may only have 3 pin fans?

OK, I just compared the 1.8t and 2.0 fan diagrams on the 2.0 have only 3 wire fans while the 1.8 had a 3 and 4 wire fan. So this appears to be the issues, wrong fan application.

So it looks like the drivers side fan in the 2.0 is only a 2 speed fan and the 1.8t has a 3 speed fan.

I believe the passenger side/Aux fan may be the same between the cars, but I cannot be 100% sure. The right side fan appears to be a 2 speed fan.

I speculate the reason the 1.8t has a 3 speed primary fan is that is runs on the lowest setting if it needs to come on when the engine is turned off while the Aux water pump is running. The slower speed uses less battery and with the engine tuned off there is not a need for a higher speed as there is not additional heat being generated while the engine is turned off.

The plot sickens a bit as I just went on VW1stParts and even VW Parts appears to be screwed up?? I do not have access to the VW Specific parts catalog, but on VW1stParts the left fan shows as the same for 1.8, 1.9 & 2.0 from 1998-2003 and they also show the fan controller as the same from 2000-2010!!! SSSOOOOOO, I think part number from the left side fan is VERY important to get to the bottom of things??

I attached both wiring diagrams here for review.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks

To whom asked about replacing the fans: the big one I believe is the one that went out, but since it was an assembly I went ahead and both fans.

to jfoj Thankz a bunchez for your help. I downloaded the diagram and will take a look at it.

Hopefully I can find one.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have not personally run into this issue, but I have seen MANY people run into the problem, so I specifically wanted to look into it due to this being a continual problem.

What is rather sad is when I just looked at one only VW dealer parts listing, there was not a different fan part number for the 1.8t engines for the left fan.

SO, I think it might be helpful to see if you can find a fan assembly part number on your fan, then see if the dealer can match this up. Maybe there is a Jetta fan or some other model 1.8t that would have the correct 4 pin fan that we can all start ordering???

Good luck and please update us if you find a solution or a part number on the fan. Most VW part numbers are a bit funny looking.

I think???? most VW part numbers are 11 character alpha numberic and look something like this 3B1837016C.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
007 or Pencilneck if you guys stop by again, do either of you know about the 4 pin fan on the 1.8t?

Seems these are unusual and even some of the online parts application guides are wrong.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
This is also why I don't tend to trust Autozone, eBay, etc. for parts. GAP does at least say that its 4-wire: GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen New Beetle Cooling

ECS may as well.

Seems to maybe be a Beetle only issue? Prices are different between the Beetle and what I paid for a new fan on my GTI (an '03). Or maybe dealing with engine codes, as my GTI is an AWP.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I just checked another source and contacted one of my local dealers.

There are a LOT of different fan combinations for these cars.

The base part number I found was 1C0-959-455 then I also found 2 others 1C0-959-455A and 1C0-959-455C

Also speaking with the dealer they listed 6 different fans for the 2002 Beetle and although they did not list speeds or connector terminal numbers there were fan Wattage listings. There were also different manufacturers for the fans and this may also play into the connector??

It seems there are as likely as many fans for these stupid cars as there are engine codes!

Dealer indicated that the best place to start is with the VIN number, I have had good luck with the dealer sorting out parts via VIN number for my car. Another crazy issue is how many front axle assemblies these cars also have.

So my assumption is the aftermarket community just sampled a few VW Beetles and decided that the fans were all the same and/or did not do their homework or decided that it was simpler to list the most common fans.

I would really like to know the final answer to this question as there have been a LOT of owners running into the same issue and I think it is only with the 1.8t cars due to the 3 speed fan and Aux water pump?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This is also why I don't tend to trust Autozone, eBay, etc. for parts. GAP does at least say that its 4-wire: GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen New Beetle Cooling

ECS may as well.
I just checked ECS quickly and it appeared with a quick glance that they listed the same fan for the 2.0 and 1.8t.

I will check your other link, but I am starting to think this issue is a 1.8t Beetle issue?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It also looks like the 4 wire fan is much larger at 345mm vs the other fans at 290mm as per German Auto Parts application guide. GAP lists the right side fans as smaller, but not sure if there are actually different size left side fans for different optioned cars?

I have not measured my cars fans, but I have a 1.8t with A/C and the Aux water pump and I recall the drivers side/left fan is larger in diameter than the passenger side/right side fan.

Maybe the difference with cars with A/C and non A/C optioned cars?

Might also be 6 speed auto vs manual and 4 speed auto that dictates the 3 speed/4 wire fan??

Turbo S may also have 3 speed fan as well?

Bottom line is if you need a 3 speed/4 wire drivers side fan, do not expect to get one for probably less than $200. So if you get a complete dual fan kit from AutoZone, Advance, PepBoys, Ebay for between $100 and $150, expect to have issues if your car needs a 4 wire fan!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts