NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2003 NB Convertible. We are in our 4th day of a 3-week dream trip to Colorado. Today the right rear window failed to go up. It went up half way and then back down. It did that several times now it is stuck down.

I want to try and simply seal that window area with cardboard and tape until we are home but I am worried that continued use of the other windows each time I open the doors or drop the top will result in damage to the other operating windows, cables, ect. causing a fault that will make all windows or even the top inoperable.

Is there a way to isolate and disconnect that one rear window motor and control so that it does not try to operate?? If so, is there a way to grap that window, pull it up so that I can tape it in the up position (like we did in the old days)

Any ideas will sure be appreaciated!!! After review of all of the posts related to replacing the rear regulators I noted that removing the interior to get to the rear window is difficult and requires special tools, so I need to know where to disconnect that window other than at the motor itself.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
We have a 2003 NB Convertible. We are in our 4th day of a 3-week dream trip to Colorado. Today the right rear window failed to go up. It went up half way and then back down. It did that several times now it is stuck down.

I want to try and simply seal that window area with cardboard and tape until we are home but I am worried that continued use of the other windows each time I open the doors or drop the top will result in damage to the other operating windows, cables, ect. causing a fault that will make all windows or even the top inoperable.

Is there a way to isolate and disconnect that one rear window motor and control so that it does not try to operate?? If so, is there a way to grap that window, pull it up so that I can tape it in the up position (like we did in the old days)

Any ideas will sure be appreaciated!!! After review of all of the posts related to replacing the rear regulators I noted that removing the interior to get to the rear window is difficult and requires special tools, so I need to know where to disconnect that window other than at the motor itself.
The window drop feature for opening the doors has nothing to do with the rears. Nor will using the other windows or using the top have any affect or cause any damage to anything. The rear windows are a I3bitch to get to. Don't let this screw up your vacation. I have both vacationed in Colorado and lived there. It's a beautiful time of year, great Vert weather. You might think about finding an Independent shop and just bite the bullit and get it fixed.

Hope you're doing Colorado Springs. Be sure to do Pike's Peak, drive it one day, and take the Cog Railway another, but do the Cog regardless. It's in Manitou Springs. Garden of the Gods, Seven Falls, and be sure to make the trip out to the Royal Gorge and to Cripple Creek. These are MUSTS! If you have young kids the North Pole. I promise you will not regret any of these sights. Truly God's Country. And of course the Rocky Mountain National Park, try to make it to Grand Lake. The US Mint in Denver is another nice experience. Those things were the reason I ultimately moved there, the economy was the reason I left.

MORAV

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Sorry you're having problems!! The dealer in Fort Collins is pretty good - Ed Carroll Motor Company. I bought my car from them. Their number is 970-226-3000. Unfortunately my independent mechanic only works on engine related problems. :(

As far as visiting Colorado, the highlights now are the aspens turning colors and the elk bugling. Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park are THE places to be! Your car will love a drive up Trail Ridge Road at 12,000 feet. $20 is the cost of a 7 day pass to RMNP. Estes also has the Stanley Hotel (from "The Shining" and location of part of the movie "Dumb and Dumber") If you like beer, Fort Collins has a lot of small breweries and a Budweiser plant. There's also the train between Durango and Silverthorne. If you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice. Since it will not damage the other windows or cause a fault which disables them, I am going to cover the hole if it rains and press on. This is the last wyfi location that I know of that I will have for a few days, so if anyone else post a reply here forgive me for slow response.

The Aspens are absolutely beautiful!!! Wish I could live here!!

Slowdog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts