NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all...I have a problem...I'm really hoping someone can shed some light for me. I've had my NB for 2 months now...an '01 1.8 Turbo. I've started having some trouble starting her when she's warm. She cold starts every time, and I'm careful to let her idle a bit before I shut her off. Sometimes...very randomly...when I go to start her again...she won't start. She cranks and cranks, but doesn't fire. It happened again today and an hour and a half later she reluctantly started. This has happened 5 or 6 times in the last month. Once I get her going she runs like a top...she always does. Does anyone have any idea what's going on???

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Cold starts fine, but has trouble when it's warm. Check about the coilpack problem. I think '01's have that recall thing. I would think calling your local dealership and asking if it's been done on your car or not. If it has; it may still be under the 12K mile parts warranty w/those new parts.

It's that or fuel; right? I'm not sure what could be wrong w/the fueling; but... well when you cold start... when you open the driver's door, the fuel pump primes things. But I think after it's been running, I'm not sure if the fuel pump runs when you open the door or not.

For a second I thought maybe the door sensor is having problems(check the puddle light) but I would think that'd affect cold starts too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input...I still haven't found the problem...I'll take her in and see what they've got to say. Thanks again.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Have the fuel pressure regulator checked. The fuel pump relay might be a bit flaky.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2001 1.8 Turbo Beetle... I recently experienced the exact symptoms you describe. Just yesterday I took it in and when the service writer went to move the car it wouldn't start for him either, which was good. They checked the codes and said it was a speed sensor. They changed the part and the car starts nicely as it should.

Time will tell if this solves the problem.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts