NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo I hit a small little tree today and the only thing that got broken was my right turn signal cover on the passenger side in the front. I can't find a replacement cover anywhere most places just sell the assembly. My turn signal light still works. It's just the cover that is broken. Is this easy to replace?can I do it myself? And also my foglight bumper was ripped out and the wiring to the fog lights are gone well not all of them but is it easy to do the wiring? Or do I need to go to a pro. I popped the bumper back on, looks fine. But I really want my fog lights working. Please help. :( I want "Ringo" in tip top shape

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Those cover pop right out. A lot of people get rid of them and install clears. Pretty comon part, check eBay for cheap prices.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
Yes, the assembly is all one piece,and is very easy to pop out, and replace. Just look for the assemby. Maybe take the opportunity to replace both corners with clears! :bigthumb:

And, watch out for those trees, big *and* small! :eek:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
I think ECSTuning had some listed but they've been on "backorder" for a long time. I vaguely remember reading about several manufacturers of the clear corners getting in trouble because the clear lights are not DOT approved. Ebay is probably your only other option.

I didn't have any installed on my car, but it is possible you could fail safety inspection with the clears. NC isn't as much of a stickler for inspection stuff as other places, but it could be a potential issue to consider.

1stVWParts sells the assembly for the stock signals.

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just orded a replacement assembly on ebay. i cant wait to put in that darn thing haha. now i just need to fix my fog lights. :O

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
I don't know about where you live, but Clears are almost illegal here (I say almost since most cops look the other way about it)... When I did mine, I replaced the stock clear bulbs with colored bulbs (Amber up front and Red in the back) even though I blacked-out the lenses:

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ohhhhhh i like that alot!!!! hmm and idk ive never seen beetles around here with clears, i've never heard of them till i read these posts lol. i found some for 23 dollars a piece online. im not sure what the regulations are

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
Clears are not DOT approved from what I understand, so they are able to be failed on inspection. NC is much more lax, but all it takes is getting an inspector in a bad mood. Also, I think a lot of places frown upon the colored bulb in the clear housing. Not sure on the legalities of it here in NC, but I know its been discussed on the forums before.

·
107 Posts
The price sounds about right... I think after the four Clear Corners, the colored bulbs, and the obscenely expensive paint (which was also enough to black out the housing of my headlights at the same time), I think I was only set back maybe 70-80 bucks...

As for regulations, I always go for whatever is the most strict policy in all nearby states... I drive alot and I don't want to get caught up having to deal with a ticket somewhere that has different regulations than California... If I were you, I'd run down to AutoZone or WalMart and pick up some bulbs just to be on the safe side.

In any case, you're going to love having clear corners! It gives your car a whole different feel!

·
131,000 miles!
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i think im going to stick with the regular ones for right now. can i get pulled for having a busted turn signal light even though the bulb is working and everything? just wondering. its gonna be a week before i get my replacement. oh and California is amazing i went there for a week to visit my cousin in San Clemente :)

·
107 Posts
Depends on whether or not the cop is having a bad day... I would think that as long as it's useable and not just dangling out of the hole, you should be fine...

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
Can you? Probably. Will you? Probably not. You live in NC...most people don't use their turns most of the time anyway. :p

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Clears are not DOT approved from what I understand, so they are able to be failed on inspection. NC is much more lax, but all it takes is getting an inspector in a bad mood. Also, I think a lot of places frown upon the colored bulb in the clear housing. Not sure on the legalities of it here in NC, but I know its been discussed on the forums before.
Clears with colored bulbs are legal and NOT frowned upon, IF the lens does not also act as a rear or side reflector. DOT Regs (encompass all 50 States) require an amber side front reflector and a red side rear reflector and a red rear reflector. Notice the compliance to this on all factory clears.

MORAV

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
My front clears have the amber bulbs. Never been pulled over, for anything.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
My front clears have the amber bulbs. Never been pulled over, for anything.
Your just not trying hard enough ;)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
Trust me, I've just been lucky. All of the NB's I've owned have been Turbos, two being Turbo S's. :D (My name was on the TDI, but it was technically my hubbys.... :lol: )

·
Registered
708 Posts
Just got mine inspected yesterday at traffic court, and it passed with clear front lens. I bought my NB from VWGary and he tinted all the lens and I got pulled over for it. $237 and 2 points if I didn't comply with the State Trooper.
I have a extra set of clears in the box, I'll mail them to you for $20.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Just got mine inspected yesterday at traffic court, and it passed with clear front lens. I bought my NB from VWGary and he tinted all the lens and I got pulled over for it. $237 and 2 points if I didn't comply with the State Trooper.
I have a extra set of clears in the box, I'll mail them to you for $20.
Glad to hear some State(s) are enforcing the tinted lense problem/prohibition. Turns, and worse, tail and brake lights are terribly hard to see during the day, and not much better at night. Apparently yours doesn't care about the side marker reflectors being in compliance with DOT. Full DOT compliance requires an amber reflector at the front, that's why later model years (such as my '05) have an amber bulb behind clear lense in the front half and amber reflector in the rear half. Now if more States would go after the super white, blue and purple HIDs for both color and aiming violations. Sure it will happen as more and more jurisdictions need more revenue, and it won't be a minute too soon.

M.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts