NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, VW Family.

I have an issue with my car. It has a bad leak but I don't know where.
I have an 02 VW beetle 1.8 turbo.
It started smoking and the overheating sensor came on.
It was coolant splashed toward the back of the hood. I can't see exactly where its coming from because its in the back under things.
When I tried to refill it with coolant, it just came out the bottom of the car.

Please help, if any futher info is needed, just let me know.

Also do anyone know the estimate to replace the whle cooling system ?
That's what I mainly have problems with.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
The best way to pin point a leak; is to pressure test the coolant system and then you can find where it is coming from. If you jack the car up; put it on jack stands, then you should be able to pin point, where the leak is coming from. Harbor Freight sells a pressure testing kit; that has the right adapter for Volkswagens. It is always good; to pressure test again, after making repairs to confirm that there are not any other leaks and that the whole system is fully sealed.

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit
Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a way to get a hold of the pressure tester at the moment. Will I be able to just jack the car up, add a lil colant and take a look under the car and try to pin point it. ?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
You might try filling it to the brim, putting the cap back on and squeezing coolant hoses. Doesn't apply as much pressure as a pressure tester, or give you any data, but you can do it under the car a lot easier and you still stand a good chance of finding your leak. Hope this helps!
P.S. be sure not to let it run overfilled if you try this!

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
coolant flange

could be your coolant Flange those are a weak point when the car overheats since they are made of hard plastic. Where the yellow arrow is pointing in this picture. Remove the top plastic cover for better access.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts