VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We just recently bought a 2002 Beetle Turbo S 6 speed. Its for my daughter. 147,000 miles but the body is in great shape, paint is fantastic, and interior looks good too. Motor runs really good. No knocks, no obvious tapping. Sounds really quiet. AC will run you out of the car.

First day we had the car, lost the clutch on the way home. Replaced the Master Cylinder and it appeared to have fixed it. Wrong. Just bled the air out of the lines. It was the Slave Cylinder leaking, which is inside the transmission housing. So, we invested in a $465.00 clutch kit. Took it to the guy we bought it from and he installed the clutch kit for us.

Picked it up the Saturday before Father's Day. Drove it to my parents house on Fathers day, and on the way home it appeared to have gotten "stuck" in 3rd gear and we can't get the stick shift to respond.

Suggestions? PLEASE tell me this won't require pulling the transmission again...

My daughter is getting very frustrated. Have we made a terrible mistake in buying this car? She wanted one so badly and it is absolutely adorable.

Advice???

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
All of my Beetles have been manuals, and I've owned two Turbo S's.

I never had any trouble with any of my clutches, but perhaps it's time for a new one for you?

Disclaimer: I am no mechanic. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have already had the clutch replaced as well as the Slave Cylinder and the Master Cylinder. Put a whole clutch kit in it and the clutch is terrific now!

Hubby thinks it is the linkage because he can change the gears under the hood under the air filter box. But the gear shifter just moves and won't change the gears.

Suggestions on how to access all areas would be appreciated.

We love this little car though. When we were driving it, it is a FUN little car to drive.

Thinking about getting baby girl some "Vader" stuff to go in it. LOL

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Well, I hope you can figure out what is wrong, and that is just a snag. :eek:

The 6-speed Turbo S is so much fun, it should be illegal! :wink2:

I'm an old chick, and I can drive a stick! :D

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
If you can go to the transmission and move the levers around and such. I would recommend having someone sit in the car with it 'off'. And have them work the gear shift while you watch/feel for the movement of the linkage at the transmission.

If you have full movement of all the linkage via the shifter? I'm not quite sure. But if you have movement on only part of the linkage via the gear shift? You might have had something get kicked free or disconnected . Most likely something kicked free and came apart. It's not the end of the world---annoying yes--but very repairable.

S-

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I think he has it narrowed down to a bushing at the gear shifter.

He can manually change the gears under the hood with his wrench so we know it isn't inside the transmission. He managed to get it into first gear so he can drive it up onto ramps, as soon as he figures out how to do that without ripping off the front skirting. LOL Will probably involve some wooden blocks at some point.

Anyway, I think he should be able to fix this. We bought the Haynes manual and have received the link to the VW Workshop manuals. Its just annoying.

On the other hand, once it is fixed she will have a new clutch kit installed, new master cylinder, and be ready to ride. This little car is so much fun!!

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have it figured out and the part is on order. The car is out of commission at the moment over a 0.35 cent rubber bushing. Go figure. So I ordered ten of them just to be safe.

It is part number 38 on this diagram. Just stinks we have to wait on it to come in. Oh well. It has been a learning experience to say the least.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
Yay! The car will become the most fun thing to drive soon!~

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Very glad to see progress being made. And my hat's off to Jim Ellis and his dealership for having very comprehensive diagrams of the parts the cars use online. It's saved me more then a few times from buying the wrong items.

S-

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Cool, keep us posted; if the part is the right one and if it repairs your problem! All of us; Turbo S people, will probably have to do this repair at some point! Thanks for figuring this out and documenting it, for the other people. Looks like an inevitable issue (your the second person with this issue; lately)! :mad: :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts