NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2005 GLS Convertible.

I need some recommendations for SPARK PLUGS and SHOCKS/STRUTS.

Car has almost 90k, great shape- runs beautifully, so I'm gonna order the Timing Belt Kit from ECU and do that as preventative maintenance. Figure I will change plugs as well.

As for suspension...I want something with a really nice ride...i.e. maybe better than OEM.

Thanks in advance for the advice gang-

Andy

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
alignment

since you have to do alignment after you replace the struts might as well replace ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, swaybar bushing. Than you'd be good to GO for another 100k miles.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Spark plugs... OE plugs. Get the correct factory plugs!!! VW engine are picky about the spark plugs, put the wrong ones in and you may end up with a crappy running gas guzzling engine. I've seen this happen way too often.

Also get the tool to pull the plug wires off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just got a 2005 GLS Convertible.

I need some recommendations for SPARK PLUGS and SHOCKS/STRUTS.

Car has almost 90k, great shape- runs beautifully, so I'm gonna order the Timing Belt Kit from ECU and do that as preventative maintenance. Figure I will change plugs as well.

As for suspension...I want something with a really nice ride...i.e. maybe better than OEM.

Thanks in advance for the advice gang-

Andy
Make sure to order the Timing Belt Kit that comes with the Water Pump with metal impeller. VW factory water pump comes with a plastic impeller that are prone to fail.

Check Blauparts they sell the Timing Belt "Enhanced" Kit that come with all the recommended parts you need for the timing belt job.

Regarding the plugs, MAKE SURE to use the correct ones. Maybe is a good idea to pull out one of your plug and check the part number and use the same ones. My daughter 2.0 use: 101 000 033AA Plugs but check your engine code letters and get the ones indicated for your engine.

For Shocks, Blauparts also have a complete set up thats come with everything you need for the job.

Good luck,

Isaac

1 - 7 of 7 Posts