VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,
you guys helped me replace the head and cam shaft chain idler on my daughter's 2002 1.8 L turbo then the turbo itself (cracked clean through).
It is running great besides for engine codes. PO 318 Rough Engine. I have searched but it seems illusive. Does anyone know where to start sorting this problem out?
Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Lots of pages on this code; not exactly a definitive type of obd ii generic code. What scan tool; are you using? A factory level vw type scan tool; may give you factory vw codes and be more helpful, then generic obd ii ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Billymade, thanks dude! you were so right. I don't have a fancy reader, and can't really afford one, so I called around to the different dealerships around me. I got the code read and it was the rear ABS sensor bolted to the brake. Changed it out, engine light, ABS and the circle arrow around the triangle lights are all out.
Cheers mate!

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Thats great news; glad you got it fixed! As to a vw scan tool; you need to invest in one. Even a basic vw code reader for $30 usd, can be very helpful and eliminates the need to have a vw shop scan this for you and the related charges involved (first diy vw scanner enabled repair; typically pays for the cost of the tool, then you have it for future repair work). Give us a vw scanner budget range and we can discuss options that fits your needs. Thanks.

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Ok, so $100 could land you into OBDEleven territory but it seems, they are going into a subscription business model, that not everyone may agree with?

·
Registered
18,582 Posts
Otherwise, there are many “VAG” type Chinese knockoffs; on Amazon, which is a good place to buy, as the return policy is so good, if it doesn’t work or you don’t like it.

Another option; is to buy a genuine VCDS Ross Tech cable used and get one of the older versions, since you are working with a older VW, you don’t need the latest version? While, $199 for the latest V2 version of the genuine ross tech cable may seem like allot of $; it is a great value and much cheaper, then diag fees at a VW shop VW dealer. While VCDS isn’t “magic”; it can enable you to diag intelligently, reset the kick down settings, view live data and help you do repairs, check temps for filling up the trans fluid, etc.

Lastly, if you do buy a genuine ross tech vcds scan tool; they have excellent resale value and can sell for close or more then you paid for it on ebay, if you ever sell your vw or don’t need it anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts