VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2000 Reflex Yellow Edition New Beetle GLS, and the check engine light is on. I took it to VW and they said that the car was generating a PO411 code, which I gather from taking to other Beetle owners and looking around on the interweb is a very common problem for these cars. Well the people at VW said that the cause of this particular code was that there were parts of the Secondary Air Injection system leading to the Cylinder Head were plugged and would need to be cleaned. They said it would be a 10 hour job. So my question is, is there a way to do this myself rather than taking it to VW and having to pay an arm and a leg to fix the issue?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I replaced the secondary air pump myself. Really easy to do. I did break one of the hoses that connects to it. Rather than buy a new one at 50-60$, I used the end connectors of the hose and made a new hose myself. I got the secondary air pump from a used parts dealer off of ebay for 60$ and everything is working fine. I have been wanting to replace the EGR valve that the air pump connects to but just haven't gotten to it but I don't think that will be much trouble either. There is tons of stuff you can do yourself and save ALOT of money. There are some really sharp people on here that can help you out. My experience with some of the dealerships so far is thats its hard to trust what they tell you....don't mean to offend anyone. I know there are some good ones with good people out there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think it would be a 10 hour job, even if you have to take off and clean out the combination valve or replace it. Sounds like the dealership is trying to lighten your wallet. If P0411 is the only code you have and you don't have any vacuum leaks, you don't have to fix this immediately unless you're getting a state emissions inspection soon.

Chances are good that it is something like a broken / loose SAI hose or vacuum leak. Have you checked the vacuum hoses for a leak? This would cause the engine to run a bit rougher than when it was new, but you might not even notice it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your help, and I have not yet checked the vacuum lines, and as far as I know the only code the car is reading is the PO411, although the Secondary Air Injection System pump isn't working at all. And my next emissions inspection is coming up in March, I've also been told that spraying Seafoam into the Throttle Body will help, I'm having issues locating where I need to spray the Seafoam though and where the Throttle Body is on this car

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
air pump

You might need to replace the secondary air pump or the cambi valve is not opening up or gunked up. Your secondary air pump hoses could have cracks also, common issue. To clean the throttle valve it's best if you remove it and physical clean it with carburetor cleaner or something.(Remove the turbo rubber hose, then 4 screws and throttle valve comes out, easy job) If you seafoam the intake do it through the vacuum pipe that's on top of the throttle valve. Do a google search there is a cool video in utube of somebody doing their jetta, same engine as ours. I did it, works great.:) In this picture the red arrow is pointing to the throttle valve, the yellow arrow is pointing to the hose you remove and hookup the hose to vacuum in the seafoam. You need to watch the utube video first though so you do it right.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it is caused by a bad SAI pump, your car may be one of the ones with a pump held together by rivets. These rivets commonly fail and make the pump inoperative. If you do a search on SAI pump, there should be a thread where some people fixed their pump by using nuts & bolts to replace the broken rivets.

A little off topic, I think the reason why this often occurs is that during vehicle assembly, the PCV valve was not aligned as the engineers intended, which was supposed to be slightly off vertical (assuming the engineers did their job properly). The factory alignment for the PCV valve on my car was exactly vertical. This causes the rubber housing of the PCV valve to push against the SAI pump, and stressing the SAI pump, PCV valve assembly, and the SAI rubber mounts. All three of these are common failure points in the 1.8t engine. The solution to preventing the stress from reoccurring is to slightly angle the PCV assembly away towards the back of the engine (instead of straight vertical as it was from the factory) so that the SAI pump and PCV do not interfere with each other. For my beetle I was fortunate that the only thing that failed were the rubber mounts, which is the cheapest thing to fail--a set of three replacement mounts is about $11 for the Dorman parts from Amazon.

IMHO, the assemblers of these cars were gorillas, and forced the parts into place if they didn't fit properly, and this happened pretty often because the build quality / precision of some of the parts wasn't very good. I came to this conclusion after getting an factory VW replacement latch for my armrest & having to file it down to get a good fit. Have any of you had the original latch on the armrest break off?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, mine does have the SAI pump with rivets. And the rivets are coming apart, the pump is no longer making that low screeching noise on start up. And I watched the same video you mentioned above and the same day I did the seafoam and it worked wonders!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
seafoam

Yeah, mine does have the SAI pump with rivets. And the rivets are coming apart, the pump is no longer making that low screeching noise on start up. And I watched the same video you mentioned above and the same day I did the seafoam and it worked wonders!
It's good to hear you were successful man:goodjob:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the link on how to fix the SAI Pump, I think I might have to look at some junkyards to see if I can find one that still works and is compatible with my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts