NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01, 1.8 liter turbo beetle with 150,000 miles (not original owner). Yesterday, the car started acting funky. It accelerates very slowly from a stop, and one it gets to about 50mph, runs at more RPMs than it did before. I borrowed an OBD tool and got the codes PO722, PO715, and PO730. I looked around on this site and vwvortex.com, and it seems that most likely the G68 sensor needs to be replaced.

So, two questions: One: Does it sound like the G68 sensor really is the problem? and Two: Where is this sensor on an '01 turbo, and how do I replace it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an automatic.

So, I changed out the sensor, with the help of a mechanic friend-of-a-friend. It was pretty straight forward. We removed the airfilter and then, with a jack under the transmission, the bolts on the transmission mount. The filter is then pretty easy to spot, as long as you have the right sensor, which is the middle one on this page: GermanAutoParts.com, or this sensor: Duralast/Sensor - Transmission Speed (SU8121) | 2001 Volkswagen Beetle 4 Cylinders 1.8L Turbo | AutoZone.com. If you have the sensor, it's pretty easy to locate once you remove the air filter and filter box. After changing the sensor, my bug is back to running smoothly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts