VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a cross post from vwvortex. I am posting here in hopes of awv specific knowledge.

The car in question is a 2001 awv new beetle. I had an ongoing issue with a misfire at idle for about a month. I had the car looked over by a mechanic that performed a boost and vacuum leak test and found nothing other than a small leak at the top of the dipstick tube where the end dipstick itself sticks out. He also told me that when he clamped off the hose going inbetween the pcv valve and the intake that this fixed the misfires. I was told to replace the pcv valve and I did myself but it did not change anything. I removed that hose from the intake, capped off the vacuum port, and let the hose vta. I have driven it like this for about 20 miles. I have two codes and they are: p1297/17705 and p1136/17544.

I know that this hose most likely needs to be replaced but what else should I look into? Could the leaking dipstick and tube be making the issue worse? Could a worn diverter valve cause the p1297 code?

I am out of ideas.

Not my picture.

This is the hose that I have disconnected and vta.

Please let me know if anything needs clarification.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
17705/P1297/004759 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)

Possible Symptoms
Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON
Power Loss

Possible Causes
Leaking Hoses and/or Pipes between Components
Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249) faulty
Diverter Valve faulty
Throttle Body dirty
Vacuum leak

Possible Solutions
Check Hoses and Pipes between Components
Check / Replace Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249)
Check / Replace Diverter Valve
Check / Clean Throttle Body
Perform Throttle Body Alignment (TBA)
Check for Vacuum leak(s) including PCV system

·
Gustav
349 Posts
If you removed the hose and blocked the line you have created an incomplete vacuum circuit. Replace the hose and the problem should go away.
Your Beetle's ECU thinks the n249 or the DV has gone bad due to the missing vacuum line.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the weird part. After I replaced the pcv valve is when the codes started. Along with the codes above it was still misfiring badly across all cylinders. When I removed that line and capped the vacuum port the misfires stopped but those two codes stayed. I went and got some vacuum hose while I was out earlier and I will update tomorrow with the results of the new hose .

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried a new hose for the pcv valve/intake vacuum port and it is doing the same thing as before. The misfires came back!

@jfoj

Thank you for that. I have tried feeling around that hose before but I will remove it today and get a better look.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is another interesting update. I took the hose mentioned in this thread off completely. I peeled off the heat shield and underneath it was brand new looking. While I had it apart I decided to put the hose back on the turbo fitting but leave it off the diverter valve. I plugged the open end of the hose and I left the diverter valve open. I let the car idle for about 30 minutes with the air conditioner on full. I did gently rev it a few times less to than 2k rpm. I checked it after and there were no codes at all with this hose removed and plugged.

Does this mean that my diverter valve is going bad?
I don't know how old it is. It is a 710n

Thank you for the tips so far.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I had the yellow arrow connected and the other end on the diverter valve was disconnected and plugged.

·
Registered
15,933 Posts

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have tested it and it does hold vacuum somewhat. It is a 710n but I have no idea how old it is. When I test it, it will hold fully open for maybe a second and then it drops to less than half way until I release it and then it fully closes.

I don't know anything about the coil harness cover. That is not my picture. I got it from this thread.
http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-lit...essure-drop-between-turbo-throttle-valve.html

Maybe jfoj can enlighten us.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Some photo I found on the web, I took pictures of my hose once I finally removed it. You should feel the hose carefully for a soft spot. Also replace or re-wrap the hose with something, the heat from the turbo will kill the hose.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will wrap it up again before I reinstall it.

I have a new diverter valve on the way. I will update once it gets here.

·
irregular member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is fixed. The diverter valve was bad. I put a new one in and have driven over 200 miles so far with no codes returning.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen new beetle sport
2 Posts

I had the yellow arrow connected and the other end on the diverter valve was disconnected and plugged.
What are the numbers on that pipe you have in your car attached to the diverter valve? I need the name of it because I need to buy a new one

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen new beetle sport
2 Posts
If you look on your original hose; the Volkswagen part number should be imprinted on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The guy who owned the car before me took the hose out completely 😭 he tried putting a blowoff valve in the beetle and deleted the hose entirely. Which I’m now trying to put back to its original glory. I think I found the part on EBay so I’m gonna hope it’s what I need 👍🏻

·
Registered
15,933 Posts
Another option is to call your Volkswagen dealer with your Vin number and they should be able to get you the hose you need. Once you get the part number you can search online and see if there is an alternative at a cheaper price; I have seen REIN/Continental and Gates make a lot of hoses for our cars. Gates hoses are made in the USA and have a lifetime warranty; so that might be a good option if available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts